A child from Herning have been infected with measles during a trip to Romania.
Health - 15. jan. 2019 - at. 15:33 Child infected with the measles - air passengers must be checked
the Child arrived on Saturday to Billund Airport, and after arrival it developed a mæslinge-like rash, which led to an investigation by an emergency doctor on Sunday and a subsequent hospitalization at the regional hospital in Herning, denmark.
on Monday showed a sample that the child was tested positive for the measles virus. A virus, otherwise be considered as completely eliminated in Denmark, because the majority of the population is immune.
- most people in Denmark are protected against measles, because they are vaccinated.
- But sometimes we get it as travel-related cases, and it is also what we have been given again, where the special aspect is, that the person has been contagious during a flight, says afdelingslæge Peter Henrik Andersen, at Statens Serum Institut for the Extra Magazine.
the measles virus is highly contagious because it is airborne and therefore can infect everyone in the building, as the infective staying in. The virus can hang in the air in about an hour, and therefore the passengers on the plane and in the Airport could potentially be exposed to infection.
It is about the flight of the W63211 from Bucharest with WizzAir, which landed in London at 21.23.
- even Though you have been far from that in the plane, so the virus can then hang in the air. So there is a risk for anyone who has been in the aircraft, and which is not protected against measles.
- In the same way, there is also a risk that you may be exposed to infection in the airport in London on Saturday night, when he came back to Denmark, " says Peter Henrik Andersen.
On the plane sat according to Ritzau more than 200 passengers, many of whom were romanians.
the Agency for Patient safety has been responsible for the following work to inform the relevant persons that have been in the vicinity of the infected, and who may be at risk of being infected with the measles virus. This applies primarily to young people under 18 years of age, not vaccinated.
- This is why we have chosen to go and warn in this manner, in the hope that the media would cover it, so we could get broad information out about it, says Peter Henrik Andersen.
Were you a passenger on the aircraft or present in Billund Airport around arrival 21.23 and forward an hour, so you must in the first place do not meet the physical up at the doctor, if you believe that you can be infected.
You should instead take the telephone contact to her doctor and agree on the best approach.
- You must not, of course, meeting up with his doctor unannounced, and not if you have symptoms, for this is what we want to avoid. That one enters in a waiting room with symptoms of measles, so it spreads, " says Peter Henrik Andersen.
How to be treated measles
If you know that you have been exposed to the measles virus without to be immune, so one should respond quickly, since it is possible to make a preventive treatment.
- If you are quick enough, you can actually be vaccinated three days after infection and avoid getting the disease.
- Then you can still give it, you call the 'passive protection', that is antibodies. Immunoglobulin, as it is called. They contain protection against measles, and them you can provide up to six hours after, say afdelingslæge at Statens Serum Institut Peter Henrik Andersen.
the Symptoms of measles are reminiscent of the symptoms of a violent cold, where you get a high fever, red eyes, and the nose runs. Later in the disease develop the characteristic rash.
There is no treatment for measles, when the disease is in the outbreak. You should keep the sick in isolation the first week to reduce the smittefaren, and it is important to get enough liquid. There can be given treatment that relieves symptoms, such as cough.
Vaccination provides lifelong protection against measles.
Source: Statens Serum Institut.