the Proposals come from Catharina Elmsäter-Svärd, who was minister of infrastructure in the bourgeois government 2010-2014 and now is the ceo of the Swedish construction federation.
she wants to see an increase in residential construction and am, of course, partly in the own thing when she advocates the expansion of the high-speed railway.
– the Infrastructure is the engine in the housing, " she says.
It gives opportunities for entrepreneurship and jobs. That, in turn, provides tax revenues and the basis of public commitments, she continues to point to societal benefits in the chain.
She draws on a whiteboard on the wall. New housing and new rail transport in the symbiosis. She says the picture she has carried in his head for a long time.
the New main lines between Stockholm and Gothenburg, and Stockholm and Malmö by the Swedish transport administration received the price tag 230 billion, and estimated to be a heavily unprofitable deal for the society.Catharina Elmsäter-Svärd, minister of infrastructure 2010-2014 and now the ceo of the Swedish construction federation. Photo: Pressphoto.
– There are as many opinions whatsoever about this. When talking about järnvägsinvesteringar, the costs are high no matter how you compare. Everything can always be set against each other. The subway in Stockholm was considered not profitable when it would be built, " says Catharina Elmsäter-Svärd.
She talks about Sweden's population growth, growing passenger numbers and capacity.
– It has already happened and the platforms have been extended. The problem becomes when the system lacks capacity and when there is a mix of trains of different speeds on the tracks, both long-distance trains, regional trains and freight transport, " she says.
In the 73-point program between the social democrats, the green Party, the Centre party and the Liberals, she sees a clear willingness to bet on the high speed rail line, but yet the absence of a decision related to the expansion.
– the Decision must come right soon, and then, politicians have to stand firm and be resilient. I would like to turn on the issue. If you do not do this, but what is the alternative? That is to say: Sweden has advice not to bet? says Catharina Elmsäter-Svärd.
Read also: the Swedish transport administration stopped the calculation, which favoured the expansion
She does not believe in adding costs for höghastighetsbanorna in the existing national transport plan on a total of 700 billion until 2029. Instead, she is an advocate that it is performed at the side of, as a consortium, not necessarily private, it can happen that a Swedish state-owned company, in the construction of the Öresund bridge (when it was about two countries).
– Provided that you believe in high speed rail, which I do, it is important to look at the perspective of time and how to tie it all together. We can take advantage of the american competitiveness and technical know-how. And get into the innovative and digital, the politician will send an important message. In a consortium would designers and entrepreneurs get a chance to get in at an early stage and to develop new techniques that can get the conditions to go on exports, " says Catharina Elmsäter-Svärd.
coming from Norway nowadays, builds roads, where the specific money can be directly connected to the project. It has according to the ceo of the Swedish construction federation shortened lead times and makes the whole routes can be planned and built at one time.
– If you build parts of the road after what the economy allows, it takes a long time before the operators can operate the route. Therefore, it is better to start with one of the trunk lines in Sweden and complete it, " she says.
But even if the money is lent to the high-speed railway, the state must prioritise rail before, for example, health-care and school, including finance minister Magdalena Andersson replied when the proposal on the consortium appeared.
for a consortium is formed. There is no shortcut to avoid paying, that Catharina Elmsäter-Svärd
"But it is easier to gain acceptance for the project with a consortium and the traffic on the new tracks can start rolling faster than otherwise," she says.
Read also: the Swedish transport administration: ”We had demands on us to deliver on time”