For most men it must be one of the greatest horrors, one can imagine that losing his penis.
nevertheless, it was exactly what happened to 45-year-old Malcolm MacDonald from Norfolk in England.
Since then he has made a new penis, which sits on the arm, and hopefully soon to be moved down in its proper place.
he tells in an exclusive interview with The Sun, which has since brought in several media around the world.
Malcolm MacDonald had for some years been suffering with an infection in the perineum, which has since developed into a blood infection.
His fingers, toes and penis was black, and one day in 2014 it ended with the fact that his penis fell off. His testicles remained intact.
The subsequent period of his life was very bad.
- In the two years after I lost my penis, I felt like a shadow of a man.
- I drank too much. I so not my family and my friends – I just didn't want to see it in the eyes, he says to The Sun.
The plastic surgery process, as Malcolm MacDonald has been through, is similar in many ways, the one can get through a sex change from woman to man, called falloplastik.
He took a vein out of the body, which was for the new urethra. Then took a piece of skin from the forearm, which was folded around the vein in the shape of a penis.
Here you got Malcolm his new penis attached to his arm, where gender reassignment surgery would put it directly on the space in the crotch.
Next, you can get implanted an implant of silicone, which by means of a pump can be inflated, so that it recalls an erection. It is, however, not everyone who gets an implanted implant.
Sources: Ugeskrift for Doctors, the Health boards ’Medical assistance at the Kønsidentitetsforhold’ and The Sun.Show more Close
Malcolm MacDonald always goes with the sleeves down on your wrists. Photo credit: The Sun/News Licensing/MEGA/Ritzau Scanpix
At the hospital, there had been nothing to do, as Malcolm macdonald's penis fell of, but after two years, he talked with his doctor, who told him about a surgeon by the name of David Ralph from the London University College Hospital.
David Ralph is an expert in the penis reconstruction, and therefore took Malcolm MacDonald contact to him.
He had explained that he could get a penis, but that it should sit on the arm for up to two years before it was ready to be put on correctly.
- That they can make a new penis is in itself great – but they can make it on my arm is absolutely incredible.
- It looks like something from a weird sci-fi comedy, but it is my only chance to live a normal life, he says.
A series of postponements followed to coronapandemien have made, however, that there are now four years have passed, where Malcolm MacDonald has lived with a penis on his arm.
Professor of plastic surgery at Linköping University in Sweden Gunnar Kratz says to Aftonbladet that the procedure recalls it being carried out by a gender reassignment surgery from female to male.
He stresses, however, that it will never be as a congenital penis.
- A constructed penis can be felt, but does not have sexual sensation.
- By means of a pump or silikonestang, can stand up and perform penetrative sexual intercourse. So you can satisfy a partner, but you should get your own sexual gratification in a different way, says Gunnar Kratz.
Here you can see how the tissue has been taken from the arm in the creation of the new penis. Photo credit: The Sun/News Licensing/MEGA/Ritzau Scanpix
He tells, that most penises exclusively designed, so that the recipient has a bulge in the pants, and so they can pee standing. It must give a feeling that there is a penis.
in Addition, he says, that it is highly unusual in that it is placed on the arm in the first place, even though the arm is the primary spot, you take the skin off.
- In the day do we usually do everything at one time. We take the tissue that we need, and so we can construct penis on the square.
- sometimes, if we take the tissue from the groin, we can put it firmly at both ends, so that it is as a handle, and wait until it has healed properly, says Gunnar Kratz.