Gone are the days when you had to call out to your pet when it went out of sight. In this modern technological era, you will come across several GPS trackers that can tell you where you pet is located. Some of the high-end ones can even tell you if the pet is moving or simply sitting or lying in one spot. GPS trackers have proved to be a boon in disguise for pet owners. If you own a cat or a dog, there must have several moments in life when you had to worry about the whereabouts of your pet. Thankfully, those days have become history.
Tractive GPS Pet Tracker
When it comes to pet wearables, one of the most popular companies in the world is Tractive. It is an Austria based company that practically specializes in a large variety of pet-related apps and pet wearables. Tractive GPS Pet Tracker happens to be a part of a large family of pet tracking products by the company. Tractive GPS Pet Tracker is meant for cats and mid-sized to small sized dogs. However, there is also a bigger and improved version of this GPS tracker, known as Tractive GPS XL that is basically designed for larger animals such as horses, cow, and large breed dogs.
How Does It Work?
As the name suggests, Tractive GPS is basically a GPS tracker that is designed in the form of a tracker unit. It sends out the information pertaining to the location of the pet to the designated Tractive GPS app. You can easily access this information on any device such as your smartphone or tab. You have the freedom to designate a specific area as “safe zone” within which your pet can roam around freely and safely. The moment the pet steps out of the “safe zone”, the tracker will send out a notification to your app.
After you get the notification, you can easily track the activities and location of your pet on the app. The tracker sends out the location information of your pet in real time and the information also gets refreshed almost at the same time. If the live tracking mode of the app is not on, the tracker will send out update the location of the pet based on the frequency of the animal’s activity. However, this information will not get updated in real time. You can track down the location of your pet with the help of the map that is provided by the app.
Technical Specification of Tractive GPS
The Tractive GPS Tracker comes with several features, some of which are rather technical and quite useful when it comes to tracking your pet. Some of these features are discussed below.
- Waterproof: The Tractive GPS Tracker comes with an IPX7 rating, which basically means that apart from being resistant to water, the device can easily withstand immersion of up to a depth of 3 feet or 1 meter for a time limit of 30 minutes.
- Shockproof: When it comes to durability, this GPS device is extremely durable and practically resistant to impact. It is also claimed by the maker that the Tractive GPS Tracker is almost indestructible due to the overall design technique of the device.
- Range of Communication: It has been found out that the Tractive GPS Tracker can even work from a great distance. It comes with an in-built GPS antenna that uses the GPS satellite in order to calculate the GPS position. The communication range of this device is just limited by the mere possibility of making a communication with GPS satellites.
- Battery: The Tractive GPS Tracker comes with a rechargeable battery, which has an average battery life of 2 days to 5 days with normal usage. However, if you keep the live tracking on, it decreases considerably. Nonetheless, it still lasts for around 8 hours at a stretch with the live mode on.
- Buzzer Function: There is a built-in speaker in the GPS tacker which you can activate remotely with the help of the app. Once it gets activated, you will hear a buzzer like sound from the device that can help you locate the device easily if it ever gets lost. However, for some US users, this buzzer function has been disabled due to some legal restrictions.
- GPS Precision: As per the US SPS Performance Standard, 25 feet or 7.8 meters is the average accuracy of various tracking devices. This is with a confidence level of 95%. The accuracy will depend upon the number of GPS satellites that is detected by the device. A minimum of 4 satellites need to be detected. The more, the better will be the accuracy level.
- LED Light: There is a LED light equipped with the device that lets you track your pet even in the dark. This LED light can also communicate crucial information about the GPS status and the network of the tracker.
Tractive GPS Design
The Tractive GPS Tracker is available in 3 different versions, all of which are rather attractive. All the different versions are shaped in the form of a rounded cuboid that measures around 2 inches by 1.6 inches by 0.6 inches. The weight of a device is around 1.23oz or roughly 35gms. It is designed to fit easily in most of the pet collars and you can easily attach it with the help of collar clips that comes with the package.
The 3 different versions of the tracking device vary in terms of color and pattern. Since the device is rather small in size and lightweight, your pet should not face any trouble getting used to it. It is important for you to make a note that the recommended pet size to use this device is a minimum of 9.9 pounds. However, if the pet weighs more than 44 pounds it will be a good idea to use the Tractive GPS XL. This device has similar features as the Tractive GPS Tracker but is comparatively bigger in size and is also heavier. It also comes with a longer battery life.