the Difference between the two sides of the Haas garage was remarkably strong during last week's grandprix at Silverstone.
With 67 years and one of Formula 1's longest partners, the team has comprehensive data on Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean. Something is not as it should be, when seven-tenths of a second separated the two drivers, which is assessed largely equally fast, most of the weekend.
Neither Kevin Magnussen nor team boss Günther Steiner could give another explanation than that some parts were not 100 percent in order, as the car was rebuilt after startcrashet two weeks ago.
the Dane would like to have a new car, and he gets to this weekend. Or as new a car as it is possible for Haas to build.
Haas switches both the floor and a number of other aerodynamic elements.
- basically the whole car is another, says Kevin Magnussen to Ekstra Bladet.
- It is always a little up and down between the parts. Especially the brand new flooring is always a little better when they just come on. Just flooring, we have not any new of. We have taken the best of what we have, and I'm sure it will be fine again.
- There is only Silverstone last weekend where it was really bad.
the Whole Kevin Magnussens car from the second race at Silverstone is rebuilt by the other parts. Photo: Glenn Dunar/Haas F1 Team
For safety's sake get Magnussen also a second chassis (monocoque), where on the rest of the car is mounted.
- I don't think it was the chassis. It is rare that there is something with a monocoque, but we have changed it all to be sure.
- We do not have the time to get to the bottom of exactly what has not worked. It can be difficult, when you have the aerodynamics to do. You have to make the test in vindtunellen with the damaged parts, and it takes time away from developing next year's car and so on. It is not made to anything, unless it is the problem, which continues. But I don't believe it, says the Danish Haas-running.
See also: Five more years: Haas-owner ready for signature
Formula 1 - 10. aug. 2020 - pm. 09:29 Open Ferrari-war after new nightmare
He and the team come to Spain with a better feel than the previous two races at Silverstone. Even waiting a hot Spanish eftersommer with temperatures, which becomes a mouthful.
recent years have at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya has been udbyttesrige for Magnussen and Haas. It is hoped that the weekend will be clearly better than the previous, even if the track is hard to overtake and qualifying is pretty essential.
But there is optimism.
- I'm building it out from the times that were set in vintertesten, and so it seemed that we were in midterfeltet - also in the qualification.
But there were other and cooler compared to vintertest plus, the other teams have developed more than we have. It can change on the image. But it is also nice to get to a track we know so well and have had success on before. Then you have a better vibe, says Magnussen.
Kevin Magnussen was number seven last year in Spain for Haas and number six the year before. Photo: Josep Lago/AFP/Ritzau Scanpix
Sports and Games Debriefing from the Uk: Suspicion against Haas: - Pure nonsense!
Sports and Games Watts swings the knife: - Make it hurt
Sports and Games Debriefing from Silverstone: Healthy signs in Haas