25 illegal betting websites has been closed after a lawsuit, which The Danish gambling authority was successful in. 15 of the pages were of the type skin betting websites, where to trades with virtual computerspilsskins instead of real money.
And it is specially skin betting websites, which do not comply with the Danish law.
- Skin betting websites are covered by the spillelovens permit requirements, when the skins have an economic value. In addition, there must be a deposit, an element of randomness and the possibility of a win, says Jan Madsen, who is head of the unit for Betting and Online casino at The gaming authority, to Ekstra Bladet.
- No skin betting providers have an spiltilladelse in Denmark, and it thus runs contrary to the law to provide skin betting.
Skins are a computerspilsfænomen from, for example, Counter Strike, Fortnite or Call of Duty. Skins change the appearance of the characters you play, or the appearance of the weapon you are using. It changes nothing in relation to how good you are to the game - therefore, it is only a visual change.
the List of closed websites
Below you can see what websites Bugs have been closed.
Each skin has a prisværdi, which is determined by how rare they are. It is, among other things, on the face of it, that skin betting websites use the virtual skins to among other things, to trade, gamble and oddse.
The Danish gambling authority was successful in the case 25. march and has subsequently asked telecommunications companies to block the illegal betting websites.
In January 2018 closed The Danish gambling authority also six skin betting websites.
There have previously been cases where the skin betting websites have been in the media spotlight. There was for example a case on the website CSGO Lotto. The page was heavily promoted by two youtubere, however, forgot to mention, that they themselves were joint owners of it.
Their viewers were mostly young, therefore, was lured to use their computerspils-skins on gambling. The proceedings ended by the u.s. court, where the two youtubere ended up being acquitted. The u.s. court ruled, however, that the case should be seen as an example of what you can and cannot do as influencer.
On the website they used skins to, for example, that the oddse on e-sports matches, or play at the roulette. On the way, computerspils-skins as a kind of chips in an online casino, where anyone with a profile on spilplatformen Steam to be able to log in and play with - even if it was minor.
And just the risk of gambling among minors is one of the reasons that the Danish gambling authority has a particular focus on the types of websites.
- Skins are not in themselves illegal, but when used as a deposits and win in the game types with randomness, then it becomes illegal. A particular challenge is that skinbetting often played by minors, says Jan Madsen.
How can young people gamble with skins
It does not require much before young people can come in and gamble on a skin betting website.
Therefore, we will here on the Extra Magazine to show how easy it is to gamble with skins.
- You must have an account on spilplatformen Steam. (You must be 13 years old to create a profile)
- You must have a skin in a computer game. (When you own a skin, it is associated with the account)
- You log into a skin betting website. (One uses the same login as when you log into Steam)
- When you log on to the site with his Steam profile, can the website see which skins you have. (The price also skins according to how rare they are)
- for example If you have a skin that is 100 dollars worth, so you can for example use the '100' to oddse on e-sports matches, or play at the roulette. (If you win, you get random skins that corresponds to the value, you have played for. If you lose, you lose its skins to the website)
And it is not intended for fun, that there is a prohibition against gambling by minors. It believes Lars Hausted, there is forebyggelseschef at the Centre for gambling Addiction.
- We have laws that protect minors, because young people must be allowed to develop complete, before they attach themselves bad or harmful habits. Therefore, it is problematic if young people, for example, develops a gamblingadfærd, says Lars Hausted to Ekstra Bladet.
Although the 'just' are skins, which are used to gamble with, it can have serious consequences in the future.
- If you already have early starts with the harmful patterns of behaviour as for example, alcohol or gambling, there is a greater risk that it will continue into adult life, says forebyggelseschefen.