– The most important thing in the report is that the development goes in the wrong direction. We will not achieve the climate goals as a unified political entity, stands behind if we do not take further decisive policy action, " says Ingrid Bonde chairman of the Climate council.
for a little over a year ago to examine and evaluate how the government's policies are compatible with the climate goals that have been decided. In their first report they say that the situation is serious and that the curve is pointing in the wrong direction. After having previously gone down steadily the reduction in emissions slowed, 2017 was the third year in a row that emissions of greenhouse gases in Sweden fell by less than 1 per cent. The pace is far too slow, in order to reach the goals, would the decline have to rise to between 5 and 8 percent per year.
Read more: Storage of carbon dioxide can be the case in Sweden.
the Report lists a series of concrete proposals for measures that the council considers is necessary to achieve the objectives. Part overall recommendations as to the required interaction between politicians and civil society and that climate targets must permeate all policy areas.
– A problem has been that climate policy has been seen as a private policy, then there is a risk that it becomes mere symbolic policies. It must permeate the entire policy, " says Johan Kuylenstierna, executive vice president of the council.
" We need to bring climate goals as equal goals for example targets. As well as doing economic impact assessments should be assessments of klimatkonsekvenser in all the public investigations and propositions, in all policy areas.
the exception in the carbon taxation, which are found in the agricultural sector and the mining sector, taken away, a active work within the EU to strengthen the ambitions and a review of the legislation, which among other things would give the government the ability to stop new industrial facilities whose activities are in conflict with climate change goals. Something that is not possible and that has been brought to the fore in conjunction with the Preem want to expand their activities and thus emissions in Lysekil.
Graphics: So stored carbon dioxide – kilometres in the Norwegian seabed
the Council's mission is to examine the emissions that occur within the borders of the country. In the report, they have chosen to immerse themselves in domestic transport, which accounts for about a third of the emissions of greenhouse gases and, according to preliminary figures from the Swedish transport administration, they increased during 2018.
the Transport sector is also the only sector that has a specific sektormål. This means that emissions must be reduced by at least 70 percent by the year 2030 compared with the year 2010, and to be totally fossil free by the year 2045.
only to reach the halfway point to the objectives. The council proposes that the government decides on a definite plan of action for fossil-fuel-free transport, coordinating the transport policy objectives with climate policy and to pay attention to the differences in conditions between urban and rural areas.
– It is required that the whole of Sweden stands ready to make the changes required and therefore we see it as important that measures take into account the differences that exist between urban and rural areas. In rural areas there are not the opportunities for public transport available in the city, you must take into account the differences in order to get the single unity that is needed, " says Ingrid Bonde.
the Other proposal is to accelerate the electrification, the final date for inclusion in the sale of fossil fuels, build remove dependency on cars, stop subsidizing car ownership, driving and parking, and reforming the taxation of road traffic.
– In the day of the taxed fuels. When you get a larger share of electric vehicles goes the tax base down at the same time as it still needs to be investment in infrastructure. A new tax system need to be investigated. You can tax the road depending on where you drive, vehicles running in the urban area where noise and pollution are major problems can be taxed higher than vehicles in sparsely populated areas, it can become a more fair tax system, " says Johan Kuylenstierna.
right now it goes in the wrong direction, believe Climate council, the climate targets are still achievable.
– We believe that goals are possible to reach if you take decisive action, synchronizes, and coordinates the opportunities and initiatives available today. The politicians need to show leadership and in this way create a predictability for the business community and civil society that makes it possible to ask if, " says Ingrid Bonde.
– It is a formidable force in society right now, which is fantastic. There are very much ideas, thoughts, plans, initiatives, but they do require coordination, synchronization, leadership it is the role we see that the government should take in order to take advantage of what is happening now.
”Norway's månlandning” crashed – out of the ashes rises something greater
So should Norway become a world leader in carbon dioxide