1968 was the year when, among other things kvinnosaksgruppen Group 8 was formed, the student union building in Stockholm was occupied, and the criticism against the Vietnam war accelerated. Tv-series ”Sisters in 1968,” directed by Kristina Humle and scripted by Martina Bigert and Maria Thulin will be unveiled on christmas day in the SVT. The ambition behind the tv series was not at least reach out to young girls.
Irya Gmeyner has previously made music with Martin Hederos, though never for film.
– We have supported each other through the years and also had a rock band together around the 2003, Die Gmeyner. We were quite Joy Division-influenced by, among other things, Conny Nimmersjö from Bob Hund on guitar, " she says when we meet in a viewing room for tv-series at Skeppsbron.
this time, the goal was a more diverse soundscape. The order from director Kristina Humle read music with a ”feel for the tv series, and preferably a leitmotif – but no fucking background music or prog rock, but something more timeless”.
– French pop music, answer Hederos directly. I have listened to a lot of Serge Gainsbourg through the years. The order was to not do anything with the roots in Swedish folk music, which I also like as an old fiddler, we had easily been able to end up in fäbodjazz, " he says and smiles. So this was a fun challenge.
" We landed also in the influences from any kind of Portisheads trip hop sound. In just Bristolbanden that Portishead is music, the drums and some stråkljud, which is not so far from the 1960's-metal sound.
She can get miljonpublik of christmas
Irya Gmeyner notes that no one who heard the music have objected the disobedient stilkrockarna.
– coogan wanted to we could write something that stuck out and be heard and disrupt the film a bit rather than just be a ljudkuliss.
”Sisters in 1968,” set in a sleepy Ystad. But it gubbiga the patriarchate, who sits on the city's cigarrosande Grand Hotel challenged suddenly by young women with completely different ambitions than to stand in the kitchen and cook ålaladåb.
"We didn't want to use the original songs from that time in order to avoid nostalgia," says coogan, who mentions both Sufjan Stevens and Jefferson Airplanes spejsiga the rock as the other style references..
– the Idea was to instead create a private univers from this time through to be inspired by some music makers, in particular, just Gainsbourgs theatrical and playful music. From it, we have downloaded a lot and then filled in with various contemporary references to create a sound.
a Total delivered Gmeyner and Hederos nineteen songs to the series, seven with the song. The final work was done in the Studio Space in the World along with proven musicians like Bebe Risenfors (Anne Sofie Von Otter, Tom Waits, Peter LeMarc), Lars Skoglund (Lykke Li, Moneybrother, Merit Hemmingson, Oddjob) and here Dan Berglund (Esbjörn Svensson Trio, Tonbruket).
"so terribly good musicians, there will be great experimentglädje and well paced, with quick decisions," says Irya Gmeyner.
She and Martin Hederos is particularly pleased that so many improvised pieces of music, and the jam was place in the final soundtrack.
– Prestigeångesten!, replicates Gmeyner directly. From the 1960s there is so damn much good music that both I and Martin have heard while growing up by our parents. And we would have written the music for the particular 2018 so had we had hit a knot in ourselves to invent something that would have felt new.
Hederos describe the music that accompanies and supports the ”Sisters in 1968” as a drömepok for a musician.
" I have a kind of helicopter perspective on this music because I devoted so many years to the Soundtrack of Our Lives. But the mission was not to mimic but to make songs that could be from 1975 or 1983 also, we have not been museum.
– the Piano, one can sometimes notice talking too much, there where skrivmaskinsmässiga with all the digging. Bebe Risenfors plays clarinet in some of the songs and it is absolutely beautiful, it sounds so hot. Bass clarinet is a favorite instrument and bassoon, I love to write arr for orchestra and force träblåsarna to do the James Brown blow.
During the process invented a kind of new instruments in the studio manipulating an electromagnetic Fender Rhodes piano with a lot of digital effects.
" A big difference is that film music often neither is major or minor, you may not be too clear emotionally but will instead strike different moods, vary, respond Gmeyner.
– The second is to not be too clear in text so that the text and words strikes out the pictures. One of filmlåtarna as we did was difficult to use with text just for that reason – though it is in the movie anyway as a song played in a radio and then it worked as background music.
– To get into a ease and alertness in the music, the tone. How far, for example, you could drag the melancholic, the answer Hederos. Irya Gmyener agree with.
– One of our favourite songs to the series was dissad of the melancholic and dark. Though it will surely in any other context in the future, " says Gmeyner already be discussing the next film with coogan, ”a familjethrillerdrama in the present, and the type”.