When the drama 'the Queen' is set to premiere in Denmark next week, does the film have been nothing less than six years in the making.
Already back in 2013 was Trine Dyrholm contacted by the director May el-Toukhy and playwright Maren Louise Kähne, who came and delivered with an idea for a movie. It had to be about a married woman who seduces her 17-year-old stepson.
But instead of letting the victim be the focal point in the story, the story is told from a woman's point of view, and it did Trine Dyrholm curious.
- There are many movies about the relationship between a younger man and an older woman, for example, 'The Graduate' and 'The Chronic Innocence' and 'The Reader', where there is a public relation, but they are all told from the young man's point of view. Here one can see how it looks from her side, says Trine Dyrholm.
She said yes to the role of the lawyer, Anne, who begins a prohibited relationship with a stepson, Gustav, with the same, although the script for the film far from were finished yet.
Trine Dyrholm initiate a public relationship with her stepson, played by Gustav Lindh. Photo: Rolf Konow
Film, tv & radio - 23. jan. 2019 - at. 14:30 Trine Dyrholm seduces stepson in new film
this is Why it is also a role, she has worked with a long time and have been allowed to put its imprint on the already in the movie skrivefase.
- of Course, it is a role I have gone to and from, I have made a lot of other things in the meantime, but I really have gone for several years and looked forward to see what was going to happen with her, when there came the manuscripts.
- It has been a different process than going into a role that you just had to fill in, for I have been down in all the subtleties of her, explains Trine Dyrholm.
It is a way she likes to work on.
- You can help to make sure that karakterarbejdet starts already in the script, so you are not starting from scratch, when you stand on the set, she says.
the Role of she calls one of the most complex, she has the game. For how to portray a woman who is doing something that is so violently wrong?
- The hardest part for me was to balance how I did some of the scenes credible. I had to make sure not to keep her out in the stretched arm, so that the audience is still with her, even though they do not necessarily agree with her choice. They do not have sympathy with her, but they must be with what she is for one and be curious about her, explains the actress.
It was a difficult film, and there were some difficult scenes, even though I had worked with them for a long time. It was also skidesjovt, and I have been so busy with the role, while I played it, she says.
the Director May el-Toukhy has Trine Dyrholm worked with before. She starred in her feature film debut 'Long story short' and has also been directed by el-Toukhy in the DR-series "the Heirs".
Trine Dyrholm has it been easier to let go in the role, because she know and trust the instructor.
- The role I play in 'the Queen', requires that one bares herself both physically and mentally, but I have felt a confidence and peace of mind by being surrounded by as good a team, she explains.
For example, in the film some very explicit sexscener, and they could only be, because there was so much respect and trust on the set, believe Trine Dyrholm.
She also has experienced that the Meto-movement, where there is a focus on sexual violence, power and gender in the film industry, has kicked off for some things.
We were early in the movie process called to a meeting where we got to know what they had intended, and where we could say, says Trine Dyrholm.
Her stepson is played by the actor Gustav Lindh, who was 22 years old when they shot the movie.
- That was taken so incredibly professionally hand of the love scenes from start to finish. When we recorded them, it was an incredibly controlled, professional workspace, and it created the freedom to play with play. Something like that is you become much more aware of, explains Trine Dyrholm and deepens.
- Who have not always previously been the same focus on that one must take care of the actors, but one is exposed in such a situation, in the same way as one can be exposed, if you must play a breakdown, where you just need to turn it inside out on itself, she says.
She saw how the professional handling of the love scenes made it easier to play them.
There was not a sense that it was private, even though it was very intimate. It succeeded only, if you treat it properly from the start, and it's been much more focus on, say, Trine Dyrholm.
In the difficult scenes, it helps her too, that she gradually has many years of experience in front of the camera.
In a scene clothes, she out of the front of the mirror and look long and evaluating on his body, but for Trine Dyrholm, this is not something that dots to her vanity.
- It is one's worst enemy, for if you look yourself out from, then you have lost, she says.
When she works, she sees instead the character from the inside.
- I try to put myself in her place. If I then also should think that I'm ugly when I cry or get dobbelthager, when I laugh, so major it is not. As I see it from the outside.
Afterwards, when you see it, you may well think 'oh, the wrinkles'. But as long as it is in a good cause, so I am in no way vain. So we can be nice on the red carpet, she says.
'the Queen' has premiere 28. march.