Mads Pedersen took the season's first victory and his first victory wearing the rainbow-colored WORLD cup jersey, when he Thursday, surprised by winning massespurten 2. stage of the World Tour over Poland.
But after the triumph, it was not a success, in the first instance be filled for the 24-year-old Danish Trek-rider.
- First and foremost, I want to dedicate this victory to Fabio Jakobsen after his terrible crash yesterday (Wednesday. ed.), says the Danish landevejsverdensmester after the triumph at the 2. stage in a video from the team at Twitter.
- I wish him a quick recovery. I hope he comes back to a normal life and back to cycling.
Quick-Step-sprinteren Jakobsen was on 1. stage the pressure in the barrier by fellow countryman Dylan Groenewegen from the Jumbo-Visma, and Fabio Jakobsen got badly hurt.
He was escorted to the hospital, where he Thursday evening remains in artificial coma after hitting his head violently.
Several other riders were dragged down in the crash, and several did not come to start on Thursday, where Mads Pedersen got the maximum benefit of mandefaldet among the sprinters.
- It was amazing to see how the team ran today, and it gave something extra in a finale like this.
- I am super happy to take the victory both for the team and for myself, so I can show this beautiful jersey, says Pedersen, referring to the WORLD cup jersey.
Usually Mads Pedersen is not the man, Trek is running in the sprints, and most probably had also expected that sprintertoget should be run for Jasper Stuyven.
But according to Mads Pedersen, it was carefully planned that he should run the chance.
- Yes, we had planned it as such, and it came to work, he notes after the victory.
See also: Danish world champion in the big triumph
Brøndby - 6. aug. 2020 - pm. 17:21 Brøndby in the blood: a Common front against Wilczek
See also: Dropped AGF: Here is his new club