the Trees still standing, but the conifers fell. Parts of Vätö in the municipality of Norrtälje has got back the power, but the largest part of the island are still without.
Leif Lännström inspects damage on the property after the storm. He and wife Carina have lived in the house in 40 years, but this is the worst storm so far.
has been raging on the farm. The one the tree fell straight towards the bedroom. Leif woke up, but Carina noticed nothing. When she sleeps evokes nothing of her, " she says.
Leif understood, however, that something was wrong. He tried to light the lamp, but it was not. The electricity was gone. He took out a flashlight and shone it out the window. Half a meter away, lay grantoppen.
”I thought, ' what the hell, it's a spruce.” We had luck in the misfortune.
been hit hard by the storm, Alfrida, who went into the night against the second of January. During the Friday, was still over 17,000 households to be without power. The worst affected is the archipelago. The winds picked up speed over the open water and hit straight against the trees. Only in the area where Leif and Carina Lännström live a hundred trees have fallen. In the area of Marsbacken on the other side of the island has been calculated at about 200 fallen trees.
– It just howled throughout the house. At 2 o'clock on the night pulled the storm in and around the same time was the electricity is wasted, " says Carina Lännström.Motorists must drive during a rain tree. Photo: Alexander Mahmoud
A tree is located right across the road. The tree hangs in a power cable on one side and a pine tree on the other. The cars to pass must run under the tree. Rotvältorna extends several metres above the markhöjden and leave deep holes.
electricity, but most can expect to do without electricity for at least a week. According to the projections from the Waterfall will mains that have been repaired to the tenth of January if the forecast holds. During the Thursday were inventoried the damage and on Friday, the work began.
There is extensive work that is required. And dangerous - the power lines has taken very a beating. On Vätö has a power pole cracked in half. Most of the cables is luftkablar and has not been buried, which means that they are more sensitive to storms than the cables that lie underground.
According to Leif and Carina Lännström has spoken about the cables in their area to be dug down, but in this case that it would be 30-40 years into the future. It does not help much right now.
without electricity! We have a heat pump for the water, but it can also, of course, on electricity. Luckily, we have a gas stove at home and a mulltoalett in the house. But the restroom it had been a hassle, " says Carina Lännström.
Leif Lännström agree with.
– When you have electricity, you become pissed off that it just goes bad reruns on tv. Now, when you don't have electricity anymore without actually replays a bit, " he says.
Earlier in the day, they went to Norrtälje to replenish the water reservoirs and recharge the phones. When the storm came in and knocked the network out, so they could not contact their relatives and tell them that they survived.
the coffee refilled again. There has been a steady stream of the archipelago inhabitants who went by to get water and charge elektronikprylarna during the Friday. It was also during the Thursday, when emergency crews opened up the doors to all fire stations in the municipality for people who needed help with the practicalities.fire protection engineer Isac Herlowsson are working to ensure that everything works at the firehouse in the days after the storm. Photo: Alexander Mahmoud
fire protection engineer Isac Herlowsson are working to ensure that everything works at the firehouse in the days after the storm. Horse owners have gone by and filled our tanks so that the animals should get in the liquid. Residents in the area have come with both water cans, bottles and dead mobile phones.
Many have stopped for a cup of coffee. Ylva Telldahl is one of them. She stopped at the fire station in order to charge up the phone. She lives on Rådmansö, eastward from Norrtälje. She is critical towards the municipality's actions after the storm.
the water system, but are disappointed that no interim solutions are in place.
" I asked what the municipality is doing, but they said that we are outside of the municipal network. But I pay taxes for it to work, " she says.
Communications manager Lars Lindberger tells about the Norrtälje municipality's efforts:
– if you are not able to take water from its own well so you can get water at any of our fire stations. As a municipality, we have a responsibility for all who are in our municipality, but the personal civilansvaret is also very large. All need to somehow help. Not least when it is difficult to reach people, the way to reach out is to talk with their neighbors or friends and see that they are doing well, " he says.
Rimbo and Hallstavik is open so stormdrabbade can shower free of charge during badhusens regular office hours.
But it is difficult to reach everyone, according to the municipality.
One difficulty is to take in people who find themselves in their home. Clients of home care we have a contact with but the challenge is they who sit in his house without electricity, telephone, radio. Where have we asked the public for help to get in touch with the relatives and neighbors who may be living isolated, Lars Lindberger, director of communications, municipality of Norrtälje.
If you can't stay at home as a result of the electricity supply is a possibility to get compensation for the hotel stay from the Waterfall.
– When the interruptions become too long, then it is not reasonable that people should stay at home. Then there is also a possibility to apply for compensation from us, " says Lars–Åke Linander, press officer at Vattenfall.
– There are no limits on the way. We take it on a case-by-case basis. It can apply to remuneration for all forms of accommodation in addition to hotels, such as hostels and costs for it. Only it is reasonable and nearby. We always try to be humane in this kind of context. It should just be a good reason, " he says.
is the fir trees left on the farm. They have not taken hold in the calls to the insurance company, it may be a later issue. Now, it is above all to keep the heat in and the hygiene intact until the power is back.
the Tenth of January is the latest news.
" luckily we managed to do the house.
All had not the same luck. A pine tree is located directly over the roof of the neighboring house.Photo: Alexander Mahmoud