From the first to the second year at Haas focused Kevin Magnussen on - and improved - its tidtagninger. The development must continue, but otherwise, should the 26-year-old race car driver working to respond better when conditions suddenly change.
the Dane has to complicate things, says Haas chefløbsingeniør Ayao Komatsu to Autosport in an analysis of its køreres season.
- When he is comfortable when he is happy with the car, he is unique. Take Hockenheim, where he is by his own operation was five, ran good, no mistakes, but then fall some drops of rain, and it is here that he is not good to adapt. He made mistakes and lost positions. He has to overtænke the kinds of situations, says Komatsu.
- Kevin needs a reset to next year in order to get his self-confidence and stability back; so all is well. The kind of peace is something he needs.
When everything to play for Romain Grosjean, there are not many, which is better on a single fast lap. What 16 visits in the Q3 out of 21 possible witnesses. But chefingeniøreren see no problems in that the frenchman during training are consistently faster.
- at least In the first half of the season had Kevin very much self-confidence. Some drivers go into panic, if they are slower in the first and second workout. But Kevin never went into a panic. He reviewed the data with his engineers to find where he lost time. He knows that he can reach when it comes.
- It was interesting to see from Kevin. At least in the first half of the season. Here, he developed. Last year was his weakness qualification - under pressure. He is almost there now, " says Komatsu.
- No doubt about Kevin's abilities. To be in the second year with the team helps; I think it is a big part of the reason why he performed so well in the beginning of the season, but now that Romain has been so stable, I think, that he puts himself under pressure. We need to take care of it, but both have potential.
Ayao Komatsu and Romain Grosjean have driven a few, since the frenchman got the debut for Renault in 2009. Photo: Jan Sommer
the Skills learnt during the years has always been Magnussens strength, and so is the controversial clashes have become fewer.
- In a normal, stable situation, he is a good race car driver. It is one of the reasons that we signed with him. We saw his race in a Renault - a not very competitive car - that his craft was good.
- It is just when conditions change - how he responds to it - that he must improve. But he is aware of, and we're working on it with him, says Komatsu.
Formula 1 - 6. dec. 2018 - at. 11:51 Mimics the topteams: Haas' large-2019-bet
In the other side of the garage had Romain Grosjean his challenges until the German Grand Prix in July.
- I don't know about Romain tried too much. He knew that the car was good from the start, and we know that he from the hand of nature is very, very fast. But often he tries to get 100 percent out of it too quickly, and when it fails, he becomes frustrated. And it doesn't help when he makes mistakes such as the one in Baku, believes Ayao Komatsu.
Get the whole story, when Kevin Magnussen reviews the key moments from his 2018 season.
Sports and Games the chief engineer's explanation: the Big difference between Kevin and Romain
Sports and Games Haas-the boss's headache: The difficult conditions for Grosjean
Sports and Games He is sitting with all the data: Here is Kevin best
Kevin's battle in the onions, the Finnish commentator crazy over Kimi win: Watch the funniest moments from the 2018 season