MELBOURNE (Ekstra Bladet): today is exactly a year ago.
the Scene was Rod Laver Arena. The sun baked mercilessly down on Caroline Wozniacki, who after two hours of heat stroke hung with the nails in the cliff edge.
Perched on a much higher ledge stood the 21-year-old croat, Jana Fett, the world number 103, with two matchbolde against the andenseedede dane.
in Front of the 6-3, 2-6, 5-1, 40-15. In private serv.
the Tournament earlier juniorfinalist took a deep breath and sent with the 183 miles an hour, a deep førsteserv down towards the capital dane. The ball landed very close to the line. No one knows today whether it touched it.
Then sounded a sharp ’out’.
The linjedommer came ago with Piotr She night. In just that split second Caroline got handed the key to his first grand slam.
- It was good, she cried, for Caroline had exhausted its quota of ’Hawkeye’ (the electronic linjedommer, ed.), he says, looking back at the tournament where his daughter's big dream came true.
Caroline Wozniacki was all the way down in the bag under the hedeslaget against Jana Fett. But she escaped at the last moment and loins of a vital discovery. Photo: AP
- Almost all the grand slam winners can tell the same story. Along the way, they have played a match which they SHOULD win against a lower ranked opponent, but where they have run into big problems.
- This here was caroline's, " he says of the fight, where she won 20 of the next 27 points and went on to the third round.
When the fight was over, it was something important gone up to Caroline, he tells.
- Here she saw what the concentration of each and every ball means. To you good can win, because you win exactly one ball.
- Later she was also in the final, behind 3-4, down a break, came back and won. When I look back about ten years, so I would still say that the Fett-the fight was essential.
- You can always talk about the kind of. It is quite another to stand in the situation and find that you win afterwards.
A crestfallen Caroline Wozniacki leaves the pitch after the scathing defeat, which meant goodbye to the dream of winning Wimbledon. Photo: AP
Five months later, he experienced the opposite. In yet a crazy andenrunde-battle, this time in Wimbledon. Caroline was behind 1-5 in the third set against Ekaterina Makerova, fought up at 5-5 and threw his serveparti and the fight.
- I believe she had won Wimbledon, if it had not happened. Caroline was absolutely wild, good shape. She loses to Makarova, whom she has beaten so many times, but as the day play the game well on grass with his flat venstrehånd.
- the Week before had Caroline turned all græseksperterne on the strip in Eastbourne: Kerber, who won Wimbledon, Well, Giorgi and Contaminated. Caroline was so disappointed, for she had seen that it was her chance. She was one hundred percent ready to win Wimbledon, he says, and shakes a little on the head.
It was the battle I talked about before. The, as you have TO win.
- The two matches I will remember for many years.
The same will he of course with caroline's two previous grand slam finals at the US Open. They were lost clearly to big names, Kim Clijsters and Serena Williams.
- Caroline lacked even the experience, but she also worked along with his father, there is no experience had with the kind of.
- I saw not the finals, as I do now as a coach. I did not have the necessary insight.
Caroline had to surrender to her friend Serena Williams in the finals at the US Open in 2014. Photo: AP
in return, he was sharp in 2018 before the final against Simona Halep.
- I was so positive last year. I was not nervous, and felt she. Nerves can be contagious, but I was quiet through the whole fight, regardless of the position. I thought on it all the way
- All the others in our box was very nervous, but I said to them: ’don't Show, when she is looking up at us’.
On the day of the final there was no need of either the large peep talk or taktiktavle, he says.
- We talked not really so much. It was very easy for me. I just said to her that she should keep the same focus as all the way to the finals and hit the ball at the right time.
’You must run and run all the way. You can play aggressively, but you must make sure to take all the balls, so your opponent gets tired, it gets very hot’.
Caroline was on a different level, when we talk about concentration. Are you sur five minutes and lose a lot, you can play well the rest of the time and lose anyway because the party was the match the main.
I could see in her eyes how concentrated she was.
--------- SPLIT ELEMENT ---------
If an opponent to prevent Caroline to let the corks fly! again, she must play really good tennis, believes Piotr Wozniacki. Photo: API can see the same from her this year
MELBOURNE (Ekstra Bladet): Piotr Wozniacki nods quietly on the question of whether he can see Caroline in the same mental zone as in 2018.
- Yes, I can see the same from her. She trains in the same way and hitting the ball well. She's doing her thing.
On the question of whether she can once again go all the way, nodding, he again:
- I will just say that if anyone will beat Caroline, they really play good tennis.
- She has seen that she can do it. She is still hungry. She will win more.
- There will be many small details, but both the tennis and koncentrationsmæssigt is she ready for all opponents.
Caroline was the concentration in the first battle. It was supreme. She came past one of the battles, as you look toward the useedede players, who just play to, in the first week.
- In the second week, where the top players meet, it is different. They know each other. It becomes more chess, says Piotr Wozniacki, and looks like a man, there already is a move ahead.
Caroline Wozniacki at the Australian Open
Win the final over Simona Halep 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
3. round: Johanna Contaminated, Britain, 6-3 6-1
1.round: Yulia Putintseva, Kazakhstan, 1-6 7-6(3) 6-4
2. round: Victoria Azarenka, Belarus, 6-4 6-2
3. round: Garbiñe Muguruza, of Spain, 4-6 7-5 6-3
4. round: Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia 6-2 2-6 7-5
Quarter-final: Kim Clijsters, Belgium, 6-3 7-6(4)
semi final: Na Li, China, 3-6 7-5 6-3
4. round: Na Li of China, 6-4 6-3
3. round: Jelena Dokic, Australia, 3-6 6-1 6-2
4. round: Ana Ivanovic, of Serbia, 6-1 7-6(2)
read more Close