the Time for hide and seek and masking of the Formula 1 teams ' true strength is conclusively over when 2020-breeds on Saturday afternoon let loose with the season's first qualification.
Friday's two sessions gave a clue as to where everyone stands when it becomes real.
Mercedes' strength was no surprise. Not Ferrari like under vintertest have trouble finding the go.
the Team, which got everyone's attention was the Racing Points, which in the winter was dubbed the pink Mercedes. The team has tried to mimic last year's WORLD cup-winner's car, and it is succeeding beyond all expectation.
Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll showed so much speed on both the individual game and in the løbstrim, that there is reason to believe that they can run with on podieplaceringer - in front of the Ferrari!
- They are just as fast, as we feared. They looked very good out in the vintertest, but you never know if it was the 'glory runs' without fuel, but they seem to live up to expectations, says Kevin Magnussen to a selected group of media - including Extra Leaf - on a onlinepressemøde.
Haas had a more tricky day in the heavier end of the field and does not seem in Austria to be able to run with the front of the midterfeltet, even though the team historically has always been really good just at the Red Bull Ring.
- Racing Points are very, very fast and seems to be out of reach. McLaren and Renault are fast, so the picture is as in the last year with the exception of Racing the Points are in front. Then everything is possible. I'm not saying that it is impossible to fight against McLaren and Renault, but they are probably a little stronger. But it was only day one; it still can change to Saturday.
the Article continues under the picture ...
Racing Points-breeds proved strong in the first training sessions. Photo: Joe Klamar/Ritzau Scanpix
At Haas are the big questions, whether the car is competitive in the actual song contest, which the 27-year-old dane still does not dare to say:
- It felt not so crazy today, but I learned last year, that quite often I would be positive about something, and then got a nasty surprise in the race where it was more difficult than expected.
- I'm tired of saying that everything will be good to meet up for the race and underdeliver. This year, in the beginning, I just take it race for race. It goes well, will self-confidence grow, but I will not promise anything. We have worked hard to make it better; I'm a cautious optimist.
Romain Grosjean had a bad start of the season, when problems with the braking system, cost the entire first workout. It hurts more than normal when you have been sitting in a racer in months.
See also: Dispute about the Ferrari-break
Formula 1 - 3. christmas. 2020 - pm. 20:28 Alonso is lurking: Chokskifte in the game
from Friday, predicts the frenchman, that the season starts with the teams divided into three groups.
Mercedes, Racing Points and Red Bull at the front.
Then Ferrari, McLaren and Renault.
While the Alfa Romeo, Alpha Tauri, Williams and Haas are closely matched in the last group.
- Yes, we are not yet at the good teams, but it is only the first day and fairly close. A few hundredths can make a difference. The morning went better than the afternoon, so perhaps we can Saturday find a few tenths and return to the top-ten, says Grosjean.
- We knew from the vintertest, that the Racing Points were quick. Renault has brought some great updates and McLaren were fours here in the last year, so there is no reason that they should fall back, he notes.
Here you can read Jason Watts expectations for Haas and Kevin Magnussens season (+)
Play Engine Manager on the team.dk? If the answer is yes, then sign up for the open group ‘Bank Ekstra klogeåger’, where at Jason Watt (Always Bet on Black), Jan Summer (Boys of Summer) and Jonas Hüttel (The Penfold Hearts) participates. It becomes hardly difficult ... Here you get both the tips, trick and setting up to the 2020 version of Engine Manager (+)
Much more the Formula 1 Past day fears: Haas is on the heels of Past day Understand F1's kørermarked: How is Kevin Past day Lundgaards big chance: Smutvejen to F1 Past day Banerekorder will be smashed: More aircraft than car Past day Winners and losers: The wet dream smashed Past day Formula 1's biggest fraudster has placed women on the strip