Former world No.1 Rafael Nadal, sidelined from the courts since his brief return to Brisbane at the start of the year, is registered for the ATP 250 tournament in Doha (February 19-24), the organizers announced on social networks on Tuesday.
“Doha, prepare for the return of El Matador,” the tournament wrote in a message on Instagram. “We are delighted to see Rafael Nadal return to competition” in Doha. The Spaniard with 22 Grand Slam titles made a brief return to competition during the tournament in Brisbane (Australia) at the beginning of January, after almost a year without playing due to injury. After a defeat in the third round of the tournament, he withdrew on January 7 from the Australian Open in Melbourne due to a muscle tear.
At 37, Nadal said his goal was to be competitive for the clay court season in the spring. He had previously indicated that 2024 could be his “last year” on the circuit. During his recovery, he surprised the tennis world by being named ambassador of the Saudi Tennis Federation (STF), a title he said symbolizes the Gulf monarchy's "potential" to become a stronghold of sport in the world. future. Nadal, who has won 92 titles on tour, has not played in Doha since 2016. He lifted the trophy in the Qatari capital in 2014.