the Publisher Martin Kaunitz, are about to board the plane to Åsne Seierstads 40-anniversary gala, when he discovers that he has botched away ”glasgrunkan” she should get. He panic: how to find quickly a enough sophisticated författarpresent?
He remembers when ”Rocky”-the strip where Martin Kellermans alter ego sighs of the author's successes (”Hell the Åsnehype it is!”) and calling Thomas Olsson on serieförlaget Carthage. Two hours later, waiting at the hotel in Oslo is a nifty print of the box frame, and Åsne Seierstad ”faint of happiness”.
which now results in new publisher Kaunitz-Olsson. Not all friendship will be honoured with a logo, and according to Martin Kaunitz build team spirit on a combination of trust and enthusiasm:
– Thomas la not only at the handset and said: ”this is not my problem.” I felt instinctively that here was someone I could rely on, which is also pretty damn good at what he does.
" I was impressed over Martin's dedicated commitment in the Swedish Pen, and, moreover, he was of a high literary ambition which has resulted in Augustpris and other awards. So when we at Carthage became a part of Bonnier's I came frequently down to his corridors and asked for advice, " says Thomas Olsson and Martin Kaunitz hooks:
They are so cool, they are directed to other parts of the same people. Serievärlden is storydriven and intelligent, but you also get a laugh. In the literary world, however, the entertainment is shame, and if you look serious, it means that you think about something important. But I think on the contrary.
We meet at Cafe Dox in the Old town, a källarkyffe with half överspacklade brick walls that are decorated like a flea market without price tags: light brown threadbare leather sofas are interspersed with floor lamps, table and chairs in all conceivable designs. The arches was a long time increase to punschspecialisten Johan Daniel Grönstedt, but is now a pleasant refuge from the daylight and mobile phone coverage.
Ideal to make plans in, that is.Martin Kaunitz. Photo: Roger Turesson
at Bonniers, until he stopped a year ago. Thomas Olsson is a cartoonist and the publishers of, inter alia, serieförlaget Carthage, who until January was an imprint of Bonnier.
In the fall will be their first catalog, with albums from the renowned artist Marie-Louise Ekman, Jan Stenmark and Nina Hemmingsson. An objective of the publisher is to raise awareness in Sweden of the high level of serietecknandet in the country, " says Thomas Olsson:
– Swedish series has been developed to an international level, but has not yet been nominated to the August prize in the fiction genre. So this is also a goal.
in more genres, according to the slogan: ”A kvalitetsförlag for samhällsengagerad literature: novels, art books, cartoons, and reportage.” With, among others, author, tv host and DN-writer Hanna citrus book, whose latest book, krönikesamlingen ”A printer at the Blue Moon Bar”, came out at Albert Bonniers förlag. Although the author and DN-writer Ola Larsmo going to take his next script – when – to Kaunitz-Olsson:
Martin did a fantastic job with my last novel, ”Swede Hollow”, and I look forward to continuing to work with him, " says Ola Larsmo.
Martin Kaunitz talks about an approach to the trends that will shape the publishing house:
– You can give out that people want right now, or you can follow authors you like and who has a good vision of society, and try to give out what they do as well as possible. A good writer invents the future. When Magnus Västerbro pitched a book about a famine in Sweden, for me it sounded not all that sexy of all, but then came the drought, and he proved to be a visionary.Thomas Olsson Photo: Roger Turesson
need to listen more to the authors:
" I longed to be back to something smaller, to get closer to the authors and artists. At a small publisher, it is easier to take care of them, so that they can grow and be their best.
Speaking of predictions of crop talking some in the publishing world about a ”structural change”, which is branschspråk for: ”Save yourself who can!” Is it not scary to start a new publishing house?
But Martin Kaunitz believes that the concerns are based on myths, and circle the numbers from memory if the increased bokläsande. Small press has also reduced economies of scale:
to store in a large house, but in the day you can have the whole release of the mobile on the pdf, and then press the what is needed in ten days. In addition, the marketing moved out in social media. Economies of scale have been reduced.
the Publishers go in with equity, and have an external financier, ”a good friend of the family, who asked to remain anonymous.”
if Karin Johannissons writing (DN, 17/11 2018) that he became the publisher for that he disliked working with people, but he soon discovered that the publishing world was full of them.
" I'm the dumbest idiot in the whole industry, so I had not reckoned with. But now I'm incredibly happy for all the people. When I think of a good reading experience I always make it in dialogue with the authors of the head – and now I get to meet them in reality, which is sinnesutvidgande, " says Kaunitz and form a handsfär above the head.
He thought, actually a phd on the phenomenon of word of-the death – that is to say, words that disappeared from the language – shift paganism and christianity. But a successful runologkarriär is hardly written in stone, so his wife told him to get a real job so that they could buy the townhouse – an experience that has helped him to understand when a book is ready for publication:the Publishers Thomas Olsson and Martin Kaunitz, with authors Nina Hemmingsson and Hanna citrus book, and the dogs the Torah and Ines. Photo: Roger Turesson
is that I am an average joe. When an idiot I get what the Hells Angels are so has everyone else made as well, and then you can give out the ”Swedish mafia”, as I was a publisher for the Books.
Nina Hemmingsson follow with Thomas Olsson, is from Carthage, which, after the two bortfallen moving their operations to Malmö to go up in serieförlaget Cobalt.
– It is so fun to work with Thomas. We are quite different – he is thoughtful and has a crude sense of humor, while I am more flamsig and diplomatic – but we are very good friends and have the same taste. We appreciate both books that are quite narrow, and has a history that is not seen told in this way before, " says Nina Hemmingsson on the telephone.
them from starting the publishing house, but she still sees forward to being completely independent. Carthage was such a small part of the Bonnier and even if it went well, felt Hemmingsson not that they were the highest priority.
– this is a completely crazy project. But we start gently, taking no big risks, and expect not to receive any salary directly. It is clear that there is a risk, but it is also incredibly pleasurable, " says Nina Hemmingsson.
She has just bathed, fönat and trimmed its ten-year poodle Tora before the shoot.
– the Role of frilansredaktör leaving more time for walking, so Tora is very happy to be a part of the publisher.