Let’s face it – Dealing with the end of a marriage is not easy. Texas allows for no-fault divorces, and therefore, if you and your spouse can agree on the key aspects, the divorce doesn’t have to be complicated. Nevertheless, you still need to find a divorce lawyer in Houston to represent you. With numerous options around, it is okay to feel overwhelmed and confused. In this 101-guide, we bring the top aspects of hiring a lawyer.
- Ask around. Get references if you know friends, family members, or people who have gone through the difficult process. You need to find and shortlist at least a few attorneys. There are also online websites that can help. Most known law firms in Houston have websites these days where you can find names and details of their lawyers.
- Check for relevant experience. Not all lawyers specialize in family law and complicated aspects of divorces. When we use the word “relevant”, it primarily refers to the lawyer’s experience of handling similar cases. While most divorce matters are resolved outside of court, some cases end up in trial. If that is required, hire an attorney who can do that.
- Ask for an overview. A good lawyer will always explain your legal rights in a divorce. Even when circumstances and underlying reasons seem similar, you need to know how your divorce differs from others. Get an overview of the case, what you can expect from the process, and the likely issues.
- Comfort level is key. When it comes to divorces, clients are expected to share personal and often rough details with the attorney. Meeting an attorney for the first time is a good window for deciding if you want to continue working with them. If the lawyer doesn’t seem interested or is intimidating, do not hire them.
- Find more about the costs. Almost all divorce lawyers charge an hourly rate in Houston. Lawyers can bill a flat fee if yours is an uncontested divorce with almost no issues. Either way, it is wise and necessary to get an estimate in advance.
Finally, make sure that the lawyer has good reviews. Clients are more likely to post reviews of divorce attorneys if they are dissatisfied with the outcome. If a law firm has too many negative reviews, it could be an indicator of its bad work. Also, consider the response of the lawyer’s office and if you could get an appointment without much fuss.