Every year, the Animal Protection control center inquiries from concerned citizens who have observed a dog left in a hot car.
Although the Animal Protection also each and every year trying to warn dog owners against letting the dog sit in the car on hot days, there are still many who have not understood the message, and it can have fatal consequences for the dog.
The state of Animal Protection in a press release.
A statement from the Animal Protection control center 1812 shows that 126 persons turned in 2019, because they were concerned about a dog that was left in a hot car.
See also: Leaving the dog in the 50 degrees hot car: Now the dog brain damage
It is a problem, because the high temperatures already after a short time becomes critical for dogs. People sweat the heat out of the body, but man's best friend can only get rid of it through the paws and mouth.
- Many people are trying to do the right thing by asking the car in the shade, but it does not help, for the shadow is also hot, so there is still like an oven in the car, " says Jens Bengtsson, familiedyrschef by the Protection of Animals, in the press release.
Jens Hansen therefore calls for that you let your dog or cat at home, when going out and shopping for example. Each district increases the temperature by 10-15 degrees in a parked car, and open windows does not help.
- Although the dog may seem sad to you leave the home, it will be better for it to be at home in a cool room and with access to fresh water, rather than sit in a rear end of the car. In the worst case it may end up taking the life of it, " says Jens Bengtsson.
A rule of thumb is that when the outside temperature is 20-25 degrees, the temperature rises inside a car quickly and can in a half an hour get up to dangerously 40-50 degrees.
Is it absolutely necessary briefly to leave your dog or cat in the car, according to Animal Protection is important to follow some simple precautions.
- always Park in the shade
- Fresh air is important, so open at least two windows slightly open, or the tailgate, so there will be airflow in the cabin.
- Give access to fresh water in the car.
- Put a note in the windshield with your cell phone number so you can be contacted if a critical situation should arise.
the Police have previously told what you must do if you see a suffering dog in a hot car.
First you should try to find the owner, and if it does not, you must call the police.
If you are of the belief that the dog is in mortal danger, you must beat the pane in, but subsequently, you must be able to prove that the dog was in a life-threatening situation.
the Police explains that a life-threatening situation will always be an assessment of the case, but that it is a good idea, if there are witnesses and a form of documentation, if you choose to turn the pane into.
See also: These road users are often behind the spiritusulykker with high promille