The Eugene World Championships will be held in Oregon (United States), July 15th. It will feature 55 athletes from Spain, nine of whom were finalists at last year's Tokyo Olympics. Eusebio Caceres (4th in length), Alvaro Mart and Maria Perez (4th in 20km walking), Marc Tur (4th in 50km walking), Adel Mechaal (5th in 1,500m), Diego Garcia (6th in 20km), Asier Martinez (6th in 110m hurdles), and Mohamed Katir (8th in 5,000) were the eight Spanish athletes who qualified for the Games. Ana Peleteiro (bronze in length) was the only medalist at Tokyo 2020. She is also pregnant and will not be participating in the first Outdoor World Championships in the United States. Orlando Ortega will not be competing in the hurdles.
The Spanish Athletics Federation (RFEA) has made the following names public: Mariano Garcia, the world champion in the 800-meter indoor track; Adel Mechaal, who will run the 1,500 and 5,000 meters twice; Sara Gallego who was the recent champion of Spain in 400 meter hurdles with a national record; and the marching squad, which includes Maria Perez, Diego Garcia and Alvaro Martin, Marc Tur, and Miguel Angel Lopez.
After meeting the requirements of Jose Peiro and the RFEA Sports Directorate, 33 and 22 Spanish athletes are men, respectively. This is the fourth largest Spanish team to compete in a World Cup. It follows Seville-99 (78 players), Tokyo-91 (58) and London 2017 (56). The University of Oregon's Hayward Field stadium, which has a capacity of 30,000, will be the center of world athletics for the second half of July. It will host the Games between the 15th to the 24th.
List of Spain in the Eugene World Cups
- 800 m: Alvaro de Arriba, Adrian Ben and Mariano Garcia.
- 1.500 m: Mario Garcia, Mohamed Katir y Adel Mechaal.
- 5,000 m: Adel Mechaal.
- 10,000 m: Charles Mayo.
110 m hurdles by Enrique Llopis, Asier Martinez
- 3000 m obstacles: Sebastian Martos, Daniel Arce and Victor Ruiz.
- Length: Eusebio Castro and Hector Santos
- Triple jump: Pablo Torrijos.
- Weight: Carlos Tobalina.
- Hammer: Javier Cienfuegos.
- Javelin: Manu Quijera.
Walk 20km: Alvaro Martin, Diego Garcia, and Alberto Amezcua.
Alvaro Lopez, Miguel Angel Lopez, and Marc Tur.
- 4x100 m, Alberto Calero and Bernat Canet. Jesus Gomez. Sergio Lopez. Pablo Montalvo.
- 100 m: Maribel Perez.
- 1,500 m: Marta Perez.
- 400 m hurdles: Sara Gallego.
Carolina Robles and Irene Sanchez Escribano: 3,000 m obstacles
- Length Fatima Diame
- Weight: Belen Toimil.
- Heptathlon: Claudia Conte.
- 20 km march: Maria Perez.
35km march: Laura Garcia-Caro, Raquel Gonzalez
- 4x100 m: Jael Sakura Bestue, Lucia Carrillo, Carmen Marco, Sonia Molina-Prados, Maribel Perez and Paula Sevilla.
- 4x400m: Carmen Aviles and Aauri Lorraine Bokesa; Laura Bou, Sara Gallego and Laura Hernandez; Eva Santidrian
- 4x400m mixed: Inaki canal, Sara Gallego and Samuel Garcia, Laura Hernandez. Oscar Husillos, Eva Santidrian.