Formula 1's stewards, and the Haas-team manager Günther Steiner will never be good friends. After the British Grand Prix was once again on a collision course, despite the fact that Romain Grosjean got off with a warning to move under the brake.
It was the size of Alexander Albons penalty for running into Kevin Magnussen on the first lap, he didn't understand.
- Punishment system does NOT work!
- In Hungary we drive in the pit BEFORE the race and punish ourselves, because we decide to start from the pitlane. On top of that, we get ten seconds, " notes Günther Steiner on a onlinepressemøde with, among other Extra Magazine.
- Here we will be driven by the circuit in the first place, and it was Albons error, for he got a penalty. Five seconds to him, and we are out of the race.
- In Hungary damaged we not other and was really not a benefit, when we let ourselves to start from the pitlane. Yes, we talked with the drivers, but it is very unclear, in a technical directive from 2017, says Haas-the boss.
- I think not, the punishment always fits the crime. I know that I am sorry me very much, but there are situations where we just are very prone, consider Steiner.
Kevin Magnussens race was over before it really had started. Photo: Charles Coates/Haas F1 Team
See also: Lundgaard-triumph: Back on the podium
Motorsport - 2. aug. 2020 - pm. 18:21 - Never experienced such a thing
Kevin Magnussen felt robbed of a good chance to score points after his excellent start. As teamkammeraten Romain Grosjean proved can VF20’eren good match rivals, when the discipline is race and not qualification.
But otherwise took the dane situation is more relaxed than his boss.
- I don't really have a position. It is what it is, and it makes no difference to me what he gets.
- I think it had been easy for him to wait. I would have had it difficult, if he had not taken the big risk right there. Probably he could have done it already in the next turn. There was no bad intention from him just questionable judgment, says Kevin Magnussen.
Alexander Albon and several of his countrymen - did not understand why there ever came a sentence:
- I think that the incident with Kevin was 50-50. He made a mistake and left a hole, so I went for it. When I realized that he had not seen me and closed the door, I tried to move me, but we touched each other. There was so much difference in speed on the way into the bend, that it could not be avoided.
Sports and Games Watts grades: Butcher, Kevin's executioner
Sports and Games Debriefing from Hungary: Kørerkabale at Haas
Sports and Games Watts: A comically enormous opportunity
See the highlights from the race at Silverstone. Video: Reuters via Ritzau Scanpix.