Karsten Warholm is the reigning world champion at 400 metres hurdles, but topped the world cup season when he stormed to the CHAMPIONSHIP title and a new Norwegian record at the same distance in the european CHAMPIONSHIP final in Berlin in august.
the Paradox in his best season ever was that he mostly was turned off Abderrahman Samba through the entire season.
Or to be completely precise, the Samba beat him every time they met in 2018, and yet this is the 2018 season, the best for the world champion from Ulsteinvik.Warholm want to change the birthday: - Will you not congratulate me with the day? Video
- Yes, there is something strange in it, but at the same time so I have to try to see the positive in it. The positive is that when someone hits you so you know on the hungry to be even better. The 400m hurdles is at a level now that is just totally sick. I don't know if there is any other friidrettsøvelse that keeps so good level right now, " said Warholm and continues:
- It is totally ridiculous that one of 47.60 may be referred to a second place and third place. It is completely ridiculous. But yet the blessing here is that you then have to go back to the drawing board to see what you can do better. It is where we are now, " says Warholm to the Newspaper.An annoying background image
the Blueprints from the drawing board contained some simple but crucial things. Better diet, more sleep, less youthful interference in everyday life.
the Effects have been less fat and more muscle.
And where vinnerskaller as Petter Northug glued up pictures of the most fanatical competitors on baderomsspeilet to be motivated for today's session, Warholm chosen a different twist.
A twist without overmannen Samba in the lead role.
I don't have Samba on the mirror, but on the background image my on phone I have a fotofinish where I lost by two hundredths. I mean I could have taken the hundredelene by just taking me a little over the goal. It was in the Diamond League final, and it was a bit of a bitter loss. I made a mistake and dipped badly over the goal, and when we get a snap. It is nice to have some kind of reminders, " says Warholm.
the Reminder is of the moment Kyron McMaster throws himself in front of Warholm in Zurich and wins the Diamond League finals in the last year. One thing is that the two hundredelene it was to talk about was worth around 250 000 in dollars and cents, a far more important thing is the hurt it does to tape these races.< p> Suddenly, it became completely quiet around Thorkildsen: - He is still there
It's the pain that makes Warholm has selected just the image that bakgrunnbilde on your phone.
- Yes, and I get pissed off every morning. First goes the alarm, and then I see the fucking fotofinishen there. Then it is just to sharpen up and get their act together, i.e., laughing Warholm.Think never to be beaten
Some need to take themselves together to clear the eight-hour training day. In addition, one should stand up in the morning about to miss it.
Warholm do both now, and the question is whether it was an eye-opener that both Samba and McMaster beat him in Diamond League meetings in the last year.
It was not the way that I thought before the season that I would be beaten. I saw the Samba run 47.57 in the first meeting of the season, it was before I started competing, but I thought still that I would beat him. That's the way my mind works, I always think that I should win. If Samba runs world record down with two seconds, so I think still that I should win. People will surely say that it is freaking stupid, and it is, but it's about the fact that I have tremendous faith in what we are doing. It's not like that the story ends now. On the contrary, I think it barely has begun, " he says, and sends thus a kind of varsko to the two above mentioned gentlemen.An important tryst in Ulsteinvik
on Friday, 25. January invites Warholm world class to friidrettsstevne at home in Ulsteinhallen, and the Norwegian was not snauere than that he made inquiries with Abderrahman Samba if he could ask.
- I've actually talked with the Samba about it, but the problem is that he is not going to have any innendørssesong. He tend not to have it, so he does not come to All, " says Warholm, but does not hide the fact that the event on home soil will be an amazing experience for him anyway.Warholm meets world champion on home soil,
- It can be fantastic. I have set up the largest loss by taking the event home to Ulsteinhallen and got the business community to contribute, so all the framework is there for that I must perform. I feel I have to defend that people have put their money in it, and that people should use Friday night its on it, then it's going to go fast. I'm going to run fast.
It sounds almost like the season's most important race?
- There are at least innendørssesongens main race, the grin he.
In the friidrettsverdenen is it usually like that that the best athletes will not meet the second best athletes too many times before the really big races.
the Favourites will be happy to retain the mental upper hand as far as possible, while the challengers can be easily psyket out of the regular losses against the favorites.
In the year, it is well known that the world cup in Qatar in late september/October, but Warholm tried out to be on to start prestisjeoppgjørene against Samba in January.
- This I have with me from my previous career. I believe that the best way to get better is to not be afraid to lose. It is all about to improve. I feel I'm not afraid to lose at all. The only thing I'm afraid is not to improve me, and the best way I can get better is to compete against the best. When I get to see how they do their stuff. I would rather lose many battles in the hope of winning the war, than to lose both. We must however meet in the championship, and I like to know on the level. On the pressure. And sometimes it's a little motivating to lose too, " says Karsten Warholm of the Newspaper.Tårevåt Warholm in the acceptance speech: - She was very sick, but we got through it