some five years ago was Henrik Kraak Jessen from Hoylake to witness a group indvandrerdrenge kicked a drunken man in the back. He grabbed then grab one of the young with the words, ’what the hell are you doing In the damn perkere?’.
It led to a scuffle with three of the boys, which cost him three broken ribs and a trip to the emergency room. The boys took to their heels, when one of his ethnic Danish girlfriends, who converted to islam, came to his rescue. the
She came running and started shouting at them in Arabic, so they ran. It is the worst episode I have had. Otherwise, the noisy and running on the moped down here. We did others too, when we were at their age, but it was different, " says Henrik Kraak Jessen, which emphasizes that today he regret his choice of words.
According to Henrik Kraak Jessen notified he is not the episode to the police, because he believed that the process would be too long. He was also concerned that it could make the situation even worse, if the boys came after him again.
The violent episode is one of the reasons why Henrik Kraak Jessen and his wife no longer feel quite comfortable when children play in boligforeningen Ågården in Ishøj, along with the neighborhood's other children.
- It goes very hard, when the young boy will disagree about football or other things. If they are up to a certain age, so come there like a punched or a kick. Some times it starts as fun, then it becomes earnest, he says, and continues:
- Therefore I will not have my children down there in the summer. I think it is wrong that children are brought up to solve their conflicts by beating on each other.
Henrik Kraak Jessen also sees a tendency for violence often goes in the inheritance from parents to children. He points out that he himself got beaten up as a child, because his parents managed to educate him without violence. A vicious spiral, as Henry doesn't want his five children to be a part of.
- There are also some times where my one boy has had some problems with the children, which run around down there. The rats to chase him and one of his friends, he says.
In spite of the shades of life in boligforeningen, believes Henrik Kraak Jessen, is that there should be a place for immigrants and ethnic danes in the neighborhood. Therefore, it is also kyllingeburgere on the menu, when the children invite their classmates to birthday parties in the apartment in boligforeningen Ågården.
But even though he's out of consideration for the muslim children serves the chicken on the children's birthdays, Henrik Kraak Jessen hard to understand, that is not served pork at the local school.
- It is fine enough that you have to take into account that muslims do not eat pork. But away to eliminate it in the school, I think, is going too far. It is a Danish society that we live in, so we should also be allowed to eat meatballs and medister, he says.
According to Henrik Kraak Jessen is due to the mistrust between danes and immigrants, and both sides have a tendency to look down on other cultures. For example, it may be that muslim women wear scarves and cover themselves, while the Danish women's clothing is more a reflection of a liberated western culture.
He has no problem with muslim women wearing a headscarf, but at the same time, he does not understand that some muslim women covers their entire body.
- I have a hard time accepting the niqab or burka, where one is completely covered. I think that there is a weird way to go, where to lock themselves inside. Why must you close so much to?, ask Henrik Kraak Jessen rhetorical and adds:
- We are the people. And in my world we are not created to cover us.
He considers that a large part of the mistrust between immigrants and ethnic danes, largely based on the lack of knowledge about each other's cultures. Therefore, he believes that both parties must make an active effort to break down cultural barriers. It believes Henrik Kraak Jessen, can help to improve the relationship between danes and immigrants in Ishøj and in other municipalities who are struggling with the same problems.