Last year, separated over two seconds of Lewis Hamilton's pole-position, and Kevin Magnussen as the fastest outside of the three topteams, when it was running the qualification for the Australian Grand Prix.
a second was there from the dane up to Daniel Ricciardos Red Bull which is the nearest from the invincible threesome. An eternity when you are talking Formula 1, which have created the talk about the two-tier championship and the 'best of the rest'.
During the two-week vintertest as it is, however, that the new aerodynamic regulations have brought midterfeltet closer to the top. Analyses in, among other German Auto-Motor-und-Sport and Sky F1's expert Karun Chandhok is pointing at the dazzling speed in løbstrim from Haas and Kevin Magnussen.
With most midterteams just in the hamstrings.
Racer - and talnørd Karun Chandhok had even Haas as the second fastest team, although he still think that Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull are in a class of its own.
Lewis Hamilton expects to midterfeltet at the start of the season is closer to the top teams than last year. Photo: Jan Sommer
The defending world champion Lewis Hamilton also has a feeling that Formula 1's B-class is approaching.
- the Whole midterfeltet are packed closer together. I don't know, who is four right now, but they are much closer than they were before. Previously, there was a second spring, but now they are within half a second - maybe less - which is great, said the Mercedes star in Barcelona.
- depending on their development in the course of the season, and whether they have the capacity to develop so quickly as the three top team is the question. Exciting it becomes.
Here, point Hamilton even on the argument against that top and midterfeltet comes to to approach. With three times as big budgets as the rest will Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull continue to be in a class of its own.
Romain Grosjean doubt that the jump remains small for very long.
- My thinking is that maybe in the beginning, but as soon as the big factories crank up in full force, it will be the same order as before. Perhaps in a slightly different order, but the three teams in front of, say, the French Haas-run to Ekstra Bladet.
Günther Steiner dare not make predictions - especially about the near future. Photo: Jan Sommer
Haas-the boss Günther Steiner dare not conclude positive new despite testtiderne.
- It is hard to say yet. There will be a leap, but I don't know how large. Right now it looks a little smaller. But as we always say: the Situation on the field, motorindstilling, tires and benzinmængde. There are so many unknown.
the BBC's experienced pitlane reporter Jennie Gow says podieplaceringer to Renault, Alfa Romeo and Haas in 2019. Which is to the fresh page, when you consider that there has been Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull drivers on each podieplaceringer in the past 54 grandprixer - except the two third-place finishers!
Kevin Magnussen makes no false hopes about the podiums in 2019:
- It is not realistic, but it does not mean that it can't happen. That is done unrealistic things all the time. I use not really the time to think about how big or small the chance is. Somewhere, there is also something liberating to put down in the racing car, close your eyes, run the pedal in the bottom and hope for the best. I don't want to rely on what my chances are, he says to Ekstra Bladet.
First when the season starts next weekend, and the teams screws up, gets the F1-the people the first right answer of the balance of power.
As the brits say: When the flag drops the bullshit stops.
Ekstra issued analyzes the Haas' chances after vintertesten in Barcelona. Video: Jan Sommer
Sports and Games How is Kevin: the balance of power on this year's grid
Sports and Games Meet Haas-the mechanics: 'Kevin is one of the boys'
Sports and Games As love is Kevin's new racer
Sports and Games Last chance: Kevin has a knife to the throat