For all cyclists is the season 2020 has been shortened considerably. For Jumbo-Vismas Dylan Groenewegen more than most.
The Dutch sprinter is certainly physically able to run, but mentally he is in a completely different place. For after he on Wednesday at 1. stage in Poland had been running Deceuninck-QuickSteps Fabio Jakobsen so violently in the barrier, to Jakobsen in a time hovered in mortal danger, have the nerves played him a pus.
he explained Friday in an interview with the Dutch tv-channel NOS, where he several times had to wipe the tears away from the eyes.
Just thinking about the world of darkness is something that is very far away right now. I will not even think to ride a bike in the coming months.
- We shall see what the next will be. I just hope that Fabio recovers completely, and that we may in the future be running against each other, " says Dylan Groenewegen.
the UCI has delegated the episode with the crash of sport disciplinærkomité, and as long as they are investigating the matter, has Jumbo-Visma bedyret, to Groenewegen does not provide for the start - which really falls in line with that sprinteren feel unable to run.
During the interview he talks about the sprint and the crash, which he continuously accepts the blame for.
- In a sprint, you are thinking of nothing else than to cross the finish line first. It is the only thought in your mind. You see a different approach, and so deviated from my line.
- Everything went so strong, and the barriers flew around. I fall and land on the ground, and the other plunges. Everything is chaos, says Dylan Groenewegen.
Photo: Ritzau Scanpix
While he lay bruised in the target area, it became quickly clear to him that it was bad for the Fabio Jakobsen.
- You hear things you don't want to hear. I saw that it was bad, and I heard that it was really bad.
- I saw teammates stand around Fabio. I am sorry, I did. It was a sprint, and I made a mistake by deviating from my line. It is clear that you must sprint in a straight line.
- You hope never, that this must be the result. I can only hope that Fabio recovers quickly.
Even broken Groenewegen a collarbone and got several abrasions - but it is secondary for him.
- I thought I was ok, but then I came to the hospital. The here the whole. I just thought of Fabio in the hours. I didn't sleep that night. I hope only that he will.
Friday was Fabio Jakobsen brought out of his coma, and the message from the Polish hospital is that even though he can't talk after a break numerous bones in his face, so he can communicate and use all his limbs.
You can read more about the terrible crash and efterveerne right here:
See also: Woken from coma
See also: - All the bones in the face are broken
See also: Touching Danish greeting: Hope he comes back
See also: - I'm thinking of him all the time
See also: New twist in the tragedy: Reported to the police
See also: Good news for the cyclist after a nightmare
See also: Defends 'crazy action' in massespurt
See also: Fighting for his life
See also: Quick-Step boss after the crash: Throw Groenewegen in prison