Jakob Fuglsang can look forward to Sunday's classic Liege-Bastogne-Liege with a tank full of confidence.
he, in the year mentioned among topfavoritterne together with the French Julian Alaphilippe, causing him not to move nervously around on the caféstolen at the hotel in Maastricht. On the contrary, the 34-year-old rider pulls on the shoulders.
- I feel that in principle it is us (Alaphilippe and Fuglsang, ed.), there is a level above the other. We have shown it several times in the season, " says Fuglsang.
In the Amstel Gold Race on Sunday and Flèche-Wallonne on Wednesday, Fuglsang fought a close duel, with the French rider with a goatee and moustache.
Ardennerugen is ended with a third place finish and a second-place dane. His supremely best start of the season to date: He has run eight races. Five of them have ended up on the podium.
- I is well running. I have found the shape from the start of the season after a really good winter with good training. It gives of course no self-confidence to start out well. And so I have been spared from illness and crash. It has gone really well.
An average 34-year-old cyclist will begin to see the end of his career, and for many it can be difficult to live up to past results. The former mountainbikerytter from Silkeborg is just not average - at all.
He has the past few years and in particular right now - in its 11. season as a professional - achieved its best results to date. The current fourth place in the world testifies to it.
the Astana-rider explains its stable and high level over so many years with a constant eagerness to be better - and his role as helper.
the Two riders from his own generation, Bauke Mollema and Robert gesink law, have the opposite Fuglsang had a hard time living up to past glories.
- The two run as the captains, since they were professionals - more or less. I have had it differently. I have, of course, also be the captain every now and then, but I have also been over the moon.
- It can be difficult for them, if they don't find the level in one season to make himself happy to be over the moon. So they do not have the same zest and hunger to come back, ponder, Fuglsang.
He still was in some races. And he does it with joy, he says.
the Age, and it is to be father, has also moved him on the road. It has given focus and priority.
- I am grown so old, and I have so many good results, that now is a fifth place finish not good enough anymore.
In the Amstel drove her point of view then pending and in cold blood, as you probably never have seen before. The he admits. It was partly sportsdirektørens council. But he had also such, that he would not lead Alaphilippe to win.
- I'm not here just to make fun and greasy around. The funny thing is that is going on at home. When we are cycling, so we are fighting the ass out of the pants, and for training, it should not just be kagestop and kaffeture, he says.
Liege-Bastogne-Liege is 256 kilometres. The race starts Sunday at 10.10.
Sports and Games sports Stars who died too early
Sports and Games Miracle with deficiencies: I live like ten years less, if I have been living fully
Sports and Games søren's son delivered the big Danish triumph: Well, fishing he could not be