GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN (Dagbladet): The Norwegian skihopperne celebrate new year's eve at the hotel Mercure in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Germany. But for the first time in many years, break a tradition: NRK will not be with the celebration.
Sportssjef Clas Brede Bråthen says that it is about the money:
- It is innstramminger in all areas. We have to take the consequences of the priorities as a result of this, " he says.
" It will be strange not to have more from NRK, says hoppekspert Johan Strap Evensen, the only thing that has gotten permission to be on the festivities.STATELY FELLOWS: Norway is represented in the Hoppuka by these guys. From left: Halvor Is Granerud, Daniel-André Tande, Robin Pedersen, Andreas Star, Robert Johansson, Anders Fannemel and Johann André Blame. Photo: Geir Olsen / NTB scanpix Show more
A public celebration for the athletes and the NRK was a tradition that started with the commentator Arne Scheie. The jumpers thought it was nice to have the legend with on the big night, the day before the Nyttårshopprennet.
The last few years has the whole NRK, the staff in the Hoppuka got to be at the celebration. But this year the jumpers are not set up to afford to continue the tradition.
It's about using money most appropriate. You are seen in the cards in a completely different way now than in the past, says Bråthen of the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.
- It is more and more focus on what you spend your money on. We believe we always have good priorities and is ready to spend money wise. But now set the whole time to question things.
Who was it that came to the conclusion that NRK should not get to be with this time?
" We get recommendations from the skitinget, skistyret and the ministry of culture. So it is we ourselves who must choose which grip we do out from this. We break with an old and cherished tradition, which is much larger than what it was in the beginning. Then it was just Arne Scheie who were invited. Simply because he was Arne Scheie.NEW COUPLE: Robert Johansson with his beloved Marlene Messel before they went to the table to celebrate new year's eve in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Photo: Geir Olsen / NTB scanpix Show more
Johan Strap Evensen is the only one who will join in the celebration in the year.
I get the exemption on the hoppkvoten, " says the former verdensrekordholderen to the Newspaper.
- But it is strange not to have more from the NRK. We are quite many here, nine-ten pieces. And then I realize that the jumpers need to take an assessment. All or none. There it is.
- How is it to celebrate with the jumpers?
We eat a nice dinner. The highlight is the debutantens speech. In the year is the Robin Pedersen who should keep it. But I don't have huge expectations. He tells that he has not written down anything in advance, or rehearsed the speech, the says Strap Evensen with a smile.
Athletes that team had a disappointing start to the Hoppuka. Only Andreas the Star and Robert Johansson has approved the results with the fourth - and sjuendeplass in the first race in Oberstdorf.
But on a night like new year's eve is it legal to lower your shoulders and just be a good kompisgjeng:
For anyone who does ski jumping is this drømmeplassen to be on new year's eve, say Clas Brede Bråthen.MOTHER AND SON Daniel-André Tande has good support from mom Trude in Hoppuka. Photo: Geir Olsen / NTB scanpix Show more
- There is no active jumpers that will be some other place than in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It is a great evidence that you have achieved something as a performer. For all of us around, it is a proof that we have groomed us so that we are allowed to drive with our passion. The price is that we don't get to celebrate the new year together with the nearest.
Robert Johansson celebrates with his new girlfriend, Marlene Messel.
- It is nice to get together and eat a better dinner, " he says.
I think I have started Hoppuka good, and feel that I am on the right path.
Very fun to be here, telling Messel, who learns something new about ski jumping every day.
Nyttårshopprennet starts at 14.00 on Tuesday.Stöckl steered away from the furious Tande