a month ago experienced John Ragnvald Ness a nightmare.
Five of the travhestene his Suldal equestrian centre showed dramatic signs that they had been poisoned. Two of the horses had to be euthanized. A great talent, and the country's best four-year-old kaldblodshoppe in the last year.
Suspicion quickly went to a stream that runs through parts of the luftegårdene where the horses had been.
There has been a lot industriutbygging a few years ago in the area, and the storage of construction equipment.
All analyses of water and sludge from the stream and surrounding areas are clear. It is not made any findings that indicate that the stream is the cause of the acute forgiftningene.
the Mystery will probably never be solved.
It is disturbing, " says John Ragnvald Ness to the Newspaper.
He says he would seen that it had been made some discoveries.
It had been soothing. Then we had the certain what was the cause, " he says.Low farenivå
Previously, the measured values of heavy metals in samples of mud from the creek. It was observed high values of iron and manganese.
However, according to the toxicologist Aksel Bernhoft at the national veterinary institute was values not alarming high, or to the danger to the horses, if they had drunk of the water from the stream.
Friday came and also the test results for phosphorus and nitrogen. The values here does not indicate a high farenivå.
Marit Sundsvik Bendixen is assistant director in the environmental department at the County governor in Rogaland. She tells the Newspaper:A fire took everything she owned. Six days later came the shock from your friends
Values of phosphorus and nitrogen by hestesenteret corresponds to the levels found in other agricultural areas. And where is it going also animals. It is shown that the PH-value in water samples shall not imply any risk for the health of horses, whether they should have gotten in the water. They show the normal value for water. Therefore, we will end the investigations, " says Bendixen to the Newspaper.Butted his head into the walls
6. January was travtalentet Ness Tjo Brageson sick. In the course of the subsequent week was the condition aggravated. The horse agerte as if he had been blind and butted his head into the walls of the stallboksen. The let down and folded up again. It was impossible to get in contact with the horse.
Ness told Dagbladet that it was terrible to follow on the scary sykdomskurven. It turned out that there was no way around killing in order to stop the horse's suffering. Talent was only two years.
Shortly after showed elitehesten Ness Tjo Noble also signs that something was seriously wrong. Here, it went much faster.
John Ragnvald Ness told me that the stomach of the mare este. He described it as the stomach was about to explode after only a few hours. Also it had the horse remedy of life.LARGE: Ness Tjo Noble was a classy travhest. Here is the coachman Tom Erik Solberg drove. Photo: Eirik Stenhaug / Equus Media Show more
Ness had lost last year's best four-year-old kaldblodshoppe that served 700 000 that year.
Three other horses also became ill and showed signs of poisoning. But they came again.Blood in urine
During the autopsy of the two avlivede horses, it turned out that it was blodutredelser on the liver and kidneys. The two cleansing organs of the body.
Both horses also had blood in the urine right before they had to remedy with life.
For Ness Tjo Edels part was the course of the disease acute.
- She had totally nice and normal urine in the morning. But on the night before we had to euthanize her there was blood in the urine her, tells John Ragnvald Ness to the Newspaper.
- Now I'm sorry that we didn't thought of to take care of the colored urine for an examination. We didn't think about it at all. We were just busy of to try to save the animals. It is easy to see in hindsight. It was what we should have done, so could we perhaps found the cause of the poisoning. What regret we on in the day.Flooding
He tells of a flood that did that one luftegården was standing under the water from the stream after it came 40 millimeters of precipitation in the course of a day, as well as that the rain caused the snow melting.
Hesteieren had a theory that the Ness Tjo Noble could have been poisoned by the water that came up in the luftegården and possibly leaving contaminated sludge, after pelvic withdrew.Tepid water
- I am sure that the Noble did not drink directly from the stream. Actually, I think maybe none of the horses did it. For they are used to get lukewarm water in the buckets that I bring out to them. They prefer it over cold water. But I can't exclude it. Noble walked and enjoyed and gnagde a little at the roots and such. So I thought that perhaps she could have been poisoned on the way, " he says.
John Ragnvald Ness considering to shut off all access to the stream permanently.
Although no specimens suggests that there is a danger with the water from the stream, so I dare not else than to shut off access permanently. It is really no big problem, except in a create a new feed, where the stream runs 40 feet along the corral. But all allow themselves to arrange. It is well the way it goes. No horses have been sick after we closed off the access to the stream, " says John Ragnvald Ness.
Ness sees no solution to the mystery.
- I think we have looked at all the possibilities. If it could be something with the feed, since none of the samples showed that the water in the creek was alarming. But now stand the horses on the same feed as when they were poisoned. And they are completely healthy. It seems that we will never get any response on what that poisoned the horses. There is no good thought, " said John Ragnvald Ness.Full of confusion after that stjernehest dead: - It was absolutely terrible to look at