Ferrari declared Friday night as the first team of their intention to appeal. Ago followed Renault and McLaren suit in what Mercedes-team boss Toto Wolff calls a small revolution against its kundeteam Racing Points.
On the paper trades in the case that the Racing Points are running an illegal copy of the Mercedes’ bremsekøling, but the whole of Formula 1's DNA are brought into play, and this open war can also in the long term, have implications for Haas’ cooperation with Ferrari as well as Alpha Tauris linked to Red Bull.
the First part of the teamcheferne press conference was visited by Claire Williams, Zak Brown and Mattia Binotto. Photo: RUDY CAREZZEVOLI/Getty/FIA Content Pool
Teamchefernes press conference was one long quarrel.
My first reaction is that the Racing Points are found guilty, and I'm still worried about it, that in Austria was illegal, still is sitting on the car. It is confusing for fans, says McLaren boss Zak Brown.
- They claimed to have copied the car via photographs. When you read the order, you know that it is BS (bullshit), and therefore one must ask questions to the rest of the car. Potentially it is only the tip of the iceberg.
- I do not think it is healthy for our sport. The constructor gets a penalty, but the drivers do not, he says.
mclaren's team boss Zak Brown believes that the punishment is too mild and do not understand how Racing Points are allowed to use an illegal part in the rest of the season. Photo: RUDY CAREZZEVOLI/Getty/FIA Content Pool
Outside it was Racing Points Otmar Szafnauer ready in the least:
- For Zak Brown is it BS, because he is not an engineer. He has no idea what he's talking about. Zero.
- I am surprised at how little he knows about Formula 1's rules. For me it seems that he knows more historic racing than Formula 1, " says Szafnauer.
He points out that the team already in 2018, while it was fully legal, began to obtain the data from the Mercedes.
- Now we break suddenly the sporting regulations, because we used some data, we legally got from Mercedes.
- Look at people like Haas and Toro Rosso, who not only get the data, but also the cooling capacity, the design and everything. They are okay, but not us? It is a frustration, says Racing Points-the head, which ALSO has chosen to appeal.
Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto. stresses that the case is about more than bremsekøling.
- There is a whole concept behind it, which is about copy. Is it allowed to copy a whole concept or not? But the two things should be separated. As regards the bremsekølingen, are the rules broken. It is now a fact. Punishment is sufficient or not?
Binotto attitude to the last question was answered with the appeal.
See also: Grosjeans sad milestone
Formula 1 - 3. aug. 2020 - pm. 21:59 - Dangerous and unacceptable
See also: the Year's best Lundgaard: - Sorry, guys
the Mercedes is a little on the sidelines as a technical partner with the Racing Points that do not have broken any rules.
- I do not think that bremsekølingen is the reason why they are now running on the six front seats. I think it is due to excellent engineering, where they have drawn the maximum out of the rules, says Toto Wolff.
- We can have a debate whether we want this in the future, when it comes to copies of entire cars. From our point of view was no rule violation, says Mercedes-the boss.
the FIA has already indicated to be to 2021 will tighten the rules further in order to avoid extensive copy of a car, as is the case with the Racing Points pink Mercedes.
In 2019 had teams buy bremsekøling of the other teams, but from 2020 they must design them yourself. Racing Point bought a set of the Mercedes and spent the last years cooling at the front wheels. Them, they may continue to in years.
the Cooling to the rear wheels they used, but copied them to this year's car. The design therefore belongs to the Mercedes and is not Racing for Points, believes the international motorsportsforbund, the FIA.
Racing Points running with an illegal part on the car and have got a designfordel, as the FIA road to a fine of three million dollars and 15 constructor-points.
Every time they use the cooling effect the rest of the season will have a negligible reprimanded.
The so-called 'brake ducks' cools not only the brakes, but also provide aerodynamic downforce to the car.
Sports and Games - Grosjean is lethal
Sports and Games Debriefing from Silverstone: Healthy signs in Haas