If you belong to those who do not find it pleasant to get the measured temperature via the rectum, then there is good news.
the Quality of the øretermometre is now so good that they can gauge whether or not the patients have fever or not.
according to new research, as a professor of emergency medicine and chief physician at the Hospital of southern Jutland, Christian Backer Mogensen, stands behind.
- We have examined about 1000 children and 600 adults and compared the temperature in the rectum and ears, when we use our hospital's equipment, he tells.
the Result shows that on an ordinary akutafdeling can just be measured in the ears, because they are a three-quarter did not have a fever. For children, it is up to half that drop to get a rektaltermometer up in the bum.
This is good news for three reasons, says Christian Backer Mogensen:
- firstly, it saves the nurses time. Second, it reduces the discomfort of patiernterne. But not least, we minimize the risk of spreading bacteria in the sygehusmiljøet.
- And this is important in a time where we can see that there are more resistant bacteria in hospitals.
While the Hospital of southern Jutland has taken the consequences of the research results and reduced the use of rektaltermometre, so you can't transfer the result to the home.
- The thermometers which we have examined with some expensive custom-designed thermometers for hospitals.
- We have not examined the thermometers, which you buy for the home, and I doubt that they are accurate enough, saith the Christian Backer Mogensen.
On the patients on the other of the country's hospitals will get the same joy of the result, as the patients in the Hospital of southern Jutland is yet to be seen.
Christian Backer Mogensen says that the result of the research is put forward, then other hospitals can assess it.
- I know that the region of southern denmark, taking it up and will in direktionsgangen assess whether it should be spread to other hospitals.
- I have also received inquiries from other regions sygehusdirektører, which have shown a great interest for the research, concludes Christian Backer Mogensen.
the Research is the largest of its kind in the entire world.