just Over a day after the meeting, according to the plan would have stopped beating the Polish president Michal Kurtyka hammer on the table and explained to the climate conference COP24 had come to a decision and now ended.
relieved when he literally stated that the agreement was in port.
"Last night was a long night, and it has been followed by a very long day," he said, and smiled while the applause from the assembled delegates broke loose, reports TT.
in The last few days, the negotiations have been intense and lasted virtually around the clock to find solutions and formulations that the close to 200 countries able to agree on.
for how efforts to achieve climate targets should be carried out.
the Book should make it possible to measure and compare countries ' efforts to slow down climate change. It is largely technical and is about how, for example, the emissions shall be measured and reported.
There are gaps in the agreement that is now pending and it will need to be reviewed over the next few years. The environmental movement has concerns that it is too watered down.
But according to what the DN experience considers the EU as well as Sweden that the negotiations have gone better than expected.
– Based conditions, this is a tour de force from the international community, " says klimatminister Isabella Lövin to the TT.
other to find a solution to and it is that, countries can receive credit emission reductions in other countries. Brazil had requirements that the other countries had a hard time to go along with.
the Question was no direct solution – the lift in place in the future and should be further elaborated within the united nations during the forthcoming meeting next year raised again.
– the Solution was to simply lift the whole question to the next meeting of a year, " says Lövin, who welcomes the transparency that is fundamental in the formulation countries have agreed on.
– Now is possible to compare all countries ' emissions, which is absolutely necessary if the paris agreement to work, says Lövin.
requires a thorough analysis of the content, which takes time. Now, experts will pounce on the texts and examine them carefully.
One of them is Mathias Fridahl, associate senior lecturer at Linköping university, who researches international climate policy:
– If there is a robust agreement, we will have determined when the material had to be studied more in detail. One should remember that this is a lowest common denominator approach in which the countries agreed on. The issue is not resolved, but it is a step in the right direction have been taken, " he says to DN.
Mathias Fridahl further says that ”a base is in place to stand on”:
– Amazing to be in Katowice could come up with so far considering that two weeks ago was not a formal negotiation text. Now reached the countries come to a decision on a rule book.
– at the same time, there are still gaps in the agreement, parts of which you may continue to negotiate, "he adds, and stresses that it now comes to the countries' target of focus to the actual climate, so that the transition is really taking off”.
Michael Kihlberg: The good mood from Paris 2015 is not available
Slutmöte in Katowice ever closer – but the allowances brakes
China is ready to go in the lead for the environment – but not without a strong partner
Sweden's chief negotiator in Katowice: Think it will be a long night
the Students were on strike at the climate summit