It has been four years since Gustaf Norén left the Mando Diao in written forms. Since then, the 38-year-old dalmasen done everything possible, but above all rediscovered the joy of music.
" I have moved from Stockholm to Borlänge and not performed professionally in quite a while, but I'm playing more music than ever before. I have worked for the municipality, played in retirement homes, been a music teacher at the high school and some stuff. As a dad, I play also very much music. If there was something I was missing in the music industry was the music. It is easy to a machine, " says Gustaf Norén.
When Mando Diao broke through in the early 2000's it was a rockfenomen. The band also had time to become favourites on the Swedish chart with their Frödingtolkningar on the album ”Frozen-in”, before the break-up was a fact. Now Gustaf a new project at the time with his younger brother Viktor Norén, on the basis of both childhood and my hometown.
– We will return to how it was when we started with music. We have been singing together since I was four and Gustaf eight. At the time it was more like a play, a little bit like to play football, " says Viktor Norén.
" Exactly. You do not start in Manchester United, you have to play football first, " says Gustaf Norén.
clifton hill group, it becomes an element of their previous rockprojekt Mando Diao, Sugarplum Fairy and the State of the Sound. Describing, in particular, however, the brothers cooperation as a creative new start – instead of hiding behind a concept emerges under its own name.
" We have always been in different bands and constellations, but now we were in a situation where we had no obvious musical connection. Now I am just I and you just you. It opened the door to an artistic process that I never had, " says Viktor Norén.
"What gratitude, to sing together with his brother," says Gustaf Norén.
at the same time, " explains Gustaf Norén on finding about being a musician in the public eye. He explains that he recently has made music with everyone from 20-year-old Soundcloudrappare and 80-year-old dragspelsgubbar”, but that it does not always have reached the public. A few years ago had the tour been excluded.
" Now I dare to set me up on a stage again, even if they accept to place themselves above the audience and ask them to be quiet to listen to me. The culture should invite people to contribute, there is a lot of culture that deals hush. Quiet, Börje Ahlstedt talk! Shh! Now begins Bergmanfilmen.
they are looking for a different purpose behind the music and highlighting the local folk music in Dalarna as an example. They're talking in mouth on each other in the phone, but it is less gnabbigt than bubbly. Gustaf Norén makes a rant about how he ledsnat on the conditions of production within the music world.
– There is a working group in Dala-Floda, which is quite unique in Sweden. They have beginner courses on Sundays before the usual rope pull started. Folk music has inspired me and given me a peace of mind. If you want to have a good culture will all sit with a violin in her hand, and all should dance and sing. Turn against each other instead of going to the national museum and staring into an oil painting!
When Mando Diao 2012 did Frödingsuccé with the ”Frozen-in”, stressed Gustaf Norén it was a one-off project – there would not be any more poesiprojekt. He did the poems together with my colleague Björn Dixgård, who have continued to make music during the Mando Diao-flag, even after Gustaf Noréns leaving.
When I sing the songs I wrote together with Björn, I can feel his presence.
Now he has not only moved back to the home district, but also returned to the Swedish poet. On the brothers ' tour of Sweden spelmanslag in the summer composed the repertoire for large parts of Fröding, with material from both ”Frozen” and the newly composed interpretations. The tour begins on 29 June at the Gustaf Fröding minnesgård in Karlstad.
– When I sing the songs I wrote together with Björn (Dixgård) I can feel his presence. There is a missing also feels in the body, it becomes a kind of therapy for me, " says Gustaf Norén.
for Fröding has already resulted in a musical. Gustaf Norén got the idea already after work with the ”Frozen-in”. When he began working at a secondary school in Borlänge, sweden, he talked about it with the headmaster, took their ackordgångar and låtstrukturer to work and solved the rest together with the students and teachers. The musical ”the Road to lyckolandet” premiered in march at the school.
– It is a continuation of the ”Explorations of the region”. A few years ago I discovered that the poem has four parts, and in the third poem writing Fröding: ”Here goes the way to Lyckolandet.” Where he becomes a child again and makes a journey in itself that becomes a kind of grief. Now it has become a musical that we have done together at the school. Now we are going into the studio and record these songs, " says Gustaf Norén.
" I was in the musical ”American idiot” at the Circus a few years ago. The whole scene opened up in a different way, it felt like you floated in its own musical universe in two hours and thirty minutes. It is something that I have really taken with me, " says Viktor Norén.
" I always like to have a little drama when I play. Both I and Viktor is probably teaterapor, " says Gustaf Norén.
the Collaboration with the brothers in between will not stop with the tour, but they also plan to record new music.
" It's an exciting experience to make music together with his brother. You dopes as well as their personality. When I send a låtidé to Gustaf and he sends back a processed version to me it feels like getting access to a different side of myself, " says Viktor Norén.
Producer and songwriter Björn Olsson, who has worked with Gustaf Norén in the past but has also collaborated with, among others, Håkan Hellström, is also involved in the project.
– Björn is a friend who I have talked on the phone with over many years of time. We have also made music together, " says Gustaf Norén.
– It is so much fun with Gustaf and Björn. It was like I came into their room and knocked on the door to the closet. There they sat and kept on the sly. Now, I have tried to attract them to the outside world, " says Viktor Norén.
" Haha, you're right. One should not isolate oneself. I got a revelation when I saw the movie where Matt Damon is alone on mars (”The Martian”, red. note.). He sits down at the computer and begins jamming music. It's fake, I thought. Not a chance that you start dancing by yourself is totally alone on mars. There was no musician who had written the script, " says Gustaf Norén.