the Federal environment Minister, Svenja Schulze (SPD) has for the first time visited in their term of office, the planned nuclear waste Repository in the Konrad mine in lower Saxony. In the former iron ore mine Schacht Konrad weak - and intermediate-level radioactive substances are stored. "I'm sure that this is for this waste of the right location," said Schulze on Friday during the visit of the in construction, final repository for low - level and medium-level radioactive substances.
During your visit to Schulze had met in Salzgitter and with concerned citizens. Critics are calling for a reassessment of expansion plans. The examination of the safety of the repository successes very carefully. "We check everything one more time, what we had in 2002 in the permits," said Schulze.
The approval for the construction of the repository was carried out already in 2002. From 2027, it should be able to record a total of 303.000 cubic meters of nuclear waste. A start-up was initially planned for 2013, this was delayed again and again.
On Thursday, Schulze had already visited the atomic waste storage Asse. "We want to bring back the waste as quickly as possible. The security must be ensured,“ said Schulze during the visit of the former salt mine. "It is frightening how easily done in the past, these materials have been handled," said Schulze. The next stage would be the Submission of an overall plan for the recovery of nuclear Legacy issues in aces. This Plan should be available by the end of 2019.daily mirror Background of energy & climate try it Now for free! Minister Svenja Schulze (SPD), visited the atomic waste storage Asse.Photo: Ole Spata/dpa
The lower Saxony environment Minister, Olaf Lies (SPD) evaluated the visit of the Federal Minister as a "important Signal and sign". "The Federal government is not allowed at the sole discretion of BGE and have to participate in the process," said Read, with a view to the preparations for the salvage operation by the German Federal Association for disposal (BGE). "The political responsibility is, of course, in the Federal Ministry for the environment," confirmed Schulze.
The former salt mine in lower Saxony was tested from 1967 for the disposal of nuclear waste. Between 1967 and 1978, approximately 47,000 cubic metres of low - level and medium-level radioactive waste in storage. The mine is considered to be not stable and not the geologic conditions for a Repository.
Since 1988, the water penetrates into the mine, according to UBI every day, about 12.5 cubic meters. The mine needs to be continuously stabilized. Also, a retrieval of the radioactive waste intended to remain so. The BGE is currently planning the retrieval of radioactive waste from 2033.More about
nuclear waste Schacht KonradSusanne Ehlerding
comes later, A report of the inaugural visit of Schulze in Asse and Konrad, you can read on Monday in the Background . the the Background-The Team publishes a daily Newsletter with the highest relevance for Top decision-makers, communications professionals and experts. Here you can subscribe to the Newsletter from the daily mirror Background.