at the university of Tampere on Friday revised according to the dissertation, pessimism is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease for the emergence of and it-caused mortality.
the Medical licentiate Mikko pänkälä online in the study were followed for less than 3 000 päijät-häme 52-76-year-old men and women over ten years. Initially, the inquiry was made (Life orientation test revised) (switch to another service), which was used to find out how much they have optimistic and pessimistic character traits.
during the Investigation found out that the pessimistic edge no males had over four times the risk of developing coronary heart disease compared to less pessimistic results. Pessimism-edge was also the danger of death from coronary heart disease more than double in the other investigated compared to.
it Seems that pessimism is its own independent risk factor. Although the body in the way, cholesterols and blood sugar were taken out of the equation, pessimism alone explained the risk of coronary heart disease increases, said pänkälä quality.
pänkälä correctly characterizes the pessimism of the world view, where people expect bad things to happen rather than good. A pessimist expects things to go wrong.
the Study found that pessimism bend people the body's inflammation levels were elevated.
– People are both optimistic that pessimistic traits. This according to the survey, optimism is not useful. The benefit comes from the fact that the pessimistic traits is not very much.Pessimists bad habits
Already in the past has been known that depressed people get sick more easily to coronary artery disease, but the person features not previously linked to the scientific level of physical illness.
– I was surprised by the pessimism rose so clearly highlighted as an independent risk factor. The world has been studies, that inflammatory status does not explain the pessimism, but the other way around.
the Study also found out that pessimists live in the unhealthy more than the other. They did not have you also do not want to change their lifestyle.
Coronary artery disease caused pessimism in addition to high blood pressure, cholesterol, overweight, smoking and low physical activity.Ikihyvä Päijät-Häme -the research project explained local the risk of developing coronary heart disease in the form of questionnaires, blood tests and health checks on the years 2002-2012.Juha-Petri Koponen / YlePessimismi growth in adolescence and is permanent
the Pessimism and optimism are considered to be quite permanent nature of the features that develop before the adult age. The research team, the older age group were younger, more pessimistic. Pänkälä-based according to similar results obtained in other studies around the world.
– Childhood and adolescence, financial difficulties and poor perheolot cause pessimism. Material welfare has never been worse, therefore, pessimism is the older generation more.
Since this is a character trait, it get rid of is quite difficult.
– the Individual things in the dark can learn off. It may be that the pessimistic world view can't get rid of. Despite the pessimism of settling can be useful.
pänkälä-based according to the prevention of disease should find out a tendency to the pessimistic nature of quality. When other risk factors could intervene more.
– Pessimism goes a little bit smaller number of such, because he thinks that it'll do any good, however. Equally it is benefits the box as well as optimistic and pessimistic mistille that keep lifestyle care, said pänkälä quality.
the Medical licentiate Mikko pänkälä of doctoral research review is on Friday 22. November, exceptionally, Päijät-Häme central hospital. The dissertation can be read online: Pessimism as a Risk Factor for Coronary Heart Disease (switch to another service)Mikko pänkälä-based research of pessimism common to coronary artery disease is interested in the around the world.Juha-Petri Koponen / YleTilaa Yle newsletters!
Get Overeating the best content straight to your inbox!Proceed to order