The four men, three of whom are Swedish nationals and a tunisian resident of Sweden, was all for preparation to terrorist offences after plans to take in the Jutland-Posten's and the Policy's joint editorial office in Copenhagen and, according to the Danish security police, ”kill as many as possible”.
after Jutland-Posten a few years previously published the acclaimed drawings depicting the prophet Muhammad. In connection with the arrests, prompted by the interception to be carried out by both the Danish and the Swedish secret police, were found weapons, ammunition and also the plastic strips that is believed to have been supposed to bind people with.
Magnus Ranstorp, terrorforskare at the Swedish national defence college, sat himself in the courtroom in Copenhagen, when the men were sentenced to twelve years imprisonment each in 2012.
that they have different personality types, but one of them had been at the training camp of al-Qaeda in Pakistan, another had sought out a terrorist group on two previous occasions, and the action was sanctioned by al-Qaeda's top leadership, " he says.
After the verdict, moved the men to the institutions in Sweden. According to the Correctional institution's documents, there have been both threats and violence against staff and other inmates while in prison. One of them has also been separated after suspicion that he tried to radicalise others. In none of the cases is judged to be sufficient reason to postpone the conditional sentence, which becomes the current, after two thirds of sentence served, where also the time in custody before they are counted out.
" It is not possible to say with certainty that they relapse and become dangerous when they are released. However, in such crimes there is a big risk, " says Magnus Ranstorp.
How common it is, he has no figures, but says that at least they usually return to their previous environment, where they ”are seen as rock stars” after serving his sentence.
– the Problem is that there are no special efforts after release. They get a contact person in the method during probation but left much of the wind and tide when they come out, " says Magnus Ranstorp.
ability to conduct intelligence gathering while in the method during probation, in order to better able to gather information on the conditional frigivnas goings-on.
– We will have better knowledge, especially about clients with the greatest security, or återfallsrisker. For example, those who have connections to organised crime or våldsbejakande extremist organisations, " says Niklas Bellström, deputy head of security in the prison service, to SVT.
the secret service can also decide on the monitoring after release, which has been approved for all four involved in the plans against the Jutland-Posten. In two of the cases have the prison service justified its decision to återfallsrisken is considered to be high.
– the Fbi and police should be the final authorities, but at the moment they become in fact, the first. There must be ”airbags” in the system that can rehabilitate, resocialisera and reintegrera people, " says Magnus Ranstorp.
a neglected area, even internationally, but that there are countries that, for example, started to discuss the mandatory program to undergo at the conditional release after the terrorist incident, and in Germany and Denmark have invested in the specific conversation during his imprisonment. Magnus Ranstorp sit in a special EU-wide network regarding radicalisation, where this area is identified as a high priority.
– This is a problem for many countries, and in Sweden there are no jättetänk around this, " he says.
sitting in the day at asylums in Sweden, sentenced for terrorist offences, and a handful of swedes who are subject to prosecution abroad may, at the judgment coming to serve the sentence in Sweden.
– the Question is whether or not we need a national avhopparprogram, which would also include gängkriminella. But there are different tools and ultimately it is a matter for the politicians to come up with proposals, " says Magnus Ranstorp.