Magdalena Andersson is one of the ministers who will have the greatest responsibility for implementing the proposals in the settlement agreement between S, C, L and MP. As minister of finance, she will need to push through major income tax cuts – despite the fact that she is in election campaign warned that such undermines the Swedish welfare.
the first step will be to abolish the so-called värnskatten, something that is beneficial for people with high incomes. But the agreement with C and L also lays down that further tax cuts are waiting.
" It's going to be a part in addition to värnskatten. But some of it will be paid for by increased environmental governance in the tax system. Then we have in addition, the tax reform, where there are opportunities to both give and take when it comes to raised and lower taxes, " says Magdalena Andersson.
" The ones I meet are fully aware that's not the majority. That the country would get a government the party was forced to both give and take.
" Our assessment is that this reform agenda can fit within the space that should arise during the term of office. But we get to follow the development and see to implement it in the rate as the economy allows.
" It is clear that it would have been easier if M+KD, the budget had not been voted through. But it is the conditions we have and what we knew when we made januariavtalet.
" Our assessment, which is shared by the Fiscal council, is that the program we have in the agreement fits within the scope that occurs during the term of office. We shall, of course, live up to the agreement, and there are 20 billion to municipalities and county councils. In addition, there are specific bets on health care, cancer treatment, treatment in an ambulance and additional resources to increase equality in the school.
– but we knew about when we made januariavtalet. It was not a surprise that came afterwards. Then we know that it can happen in the economy and in that case we'll come back to it and see how we will deal with it then.
– It is exactly what we will put ourselves to discuss now. It is clear that to reduce the tax for people with high incomes, you have to find other ways to make sure to either get the people with low income also to tax cuts or support in other ways. Or to otherwise increase the tax contribution from those who have higher incomes.
– It is clearly written in the agreement that the gap should reduce. The equation is not easy but it is possible. It is about to either compensate people with lower incomes in one way or another or that people with higher incomes pay a higher tax in some other way.
– It is just that we should sit and discuss with them that we have this agreement with.
– It is also one of the issues that we will discuss. It is important and what we agree on is to get a good fördelningsprofil. It can be get in different ways. Kapitalskatterna may be a way but there may also be other ways.
" we have not spoken. It is fully possible to carry out a tax reform that is neutral in its balance sheet. But you can also choose something else.
" It was not without problems with the property tax as it was designed. But it is far too early to say where such a discussion if the taxes will land. There is probably not any question that any party will lift.
– It is also an issue that will be lifted. If you want to interrogate me on all the taxes, you'll be happy to do it but I will be equally boring in the answers at all.