After that Donald Trump won the US election in november 2016, the group intensified the debate about the gap between town and country in Sweden. Stefan Löfven visited the municipality after municipality, and reiterated that the entire country must live.
But the social democrats did not hold the landsbygdsväljarna. The party made their worst election ever in the fall, and most lost man in the countryside, according to the custom valanalysen. The party is dropping, according to the analysis, between five and ten percentage points in 115 of 197 rural municipalities and the major decline occurred in the smaller municipalities with fewer than 20,000 inhabitants, where the sweden democrats rather than increases.
has lost so much that roughly a third of voters in smaller municipalities as Hällefors, Åre and Arvidsjaur since 2002.
When the representatives gathered for the party congress at the weekend it was clear that there was a need to discuss the issue. Britta Flinkfeldt (S), kommunstyrelseordförande in Arjeplog, stood in the pulpit during the Friday evening general policy debate. It is a good way to go to Stefan Löfvens promise that the whole of the country to live, she said.
" Our constituents in the rural areas see that it's starting to become impossible to live and work there, that we drained, and both the jobs and the service disappears. Plogningen does not work, the social Insurance agency and the employment service will disappear, " she says.
It is not just that everyday life has become more difficult. Vital societal functions require miles of travel.
– If you are going to have to have a passport, you should go 18 miles roundtrip to the police. If I call in from a city about an ongoing assault, say police, that it will take two and a half hours before they are there. Then they go not because that is the beating over, " she says.
the squad leader of the S in Västervik, sweden, believes that the government must act faster.
– It is too slow. We have had the government in four years and now we have it again. For that we are to be credible to voters in the countryside so we must dare to implement our proposals through, for example, continue with the relocation, " he says.
Marcus Fridlund noted that the aid for his party decreases the further away from the city he will.
– The further away from the town you go, the closer the SD is the man, " he says.
the loss among landsbygdsväljarna is a failure.
– you Lose support, it is not enough, many who believe that we are doing the right things, " he says.
S-the leader emphasises that development in rural areas can not be reversed in just a couple of years or even a term. He mentions bets on the railway, support for village shops to stop butiksdöden and a higher tempo in the deployment of broadband as an example of reforms. Stefan Löfven also promotes better access to education.
"We have begun, it is not enough but we shall continue for the entire country to live," he says.
have studied how the number of votes cast for parties has developed in different parts of the country the last few decades. He has shown a clear trend to and with the 2014 elections where social democrats increasingly developed into a party with stronger support in rural areas than in the larger cities. It is too early to draw firm conclusions, but he argues that last year's election may be a trend reversal.
– It may be that the factors that have resisted the national valvinden in some regions beginning to weaken. It can be a question of generations, to new voters coming in who think more individualistic and have weaker partidentifikation, " says Anders Lidström.
greater support among older than younger voters. In many small industriorter can the labor movement once strong local structures, with the party and the trade unions, erode the when the older generation dies out, says Anders Lidström.
– this opens The way for inroads from other parties and then can SD to exercise an enticement on the part of voters, " he says.
Read more: Stefan Löfven: ”We had far-right extremism away from the power”
Read more: Ewa Stenberg: Löfven spoke mittenanpassad ideology on the innocent congressLink to the graphics