According to an earlier agreement with the EU should the Uk leave the EU on Friday. But because the British prime minister, Theresa May has not yet managed to get the parliament in London to vote for her Brexitavtal she needs more time. Since a few days back talks her government with the opposition in the Labour party to find a solution that can be accepted by a majority.
" No senior politician would like to have a avtalslös Brexit. Why has Theresa May requested a deferral to June 30. The other 27 heads of state and government shall in the night to decide if she gets it, and in such case under which conditions.
– A stumbling block of voters in all member states on may 23-26 to decide which politicians sit in the EUROPEAN parliament. The british government does not want to the country to participate in the election. But is the country with in the EU in the end of may, you have to arrange a choice.
another major problem is that other EU countries are worried that the Uk will start to sabotage the work within the EU if the country is ”forced” to be with for a long time. Therefore, particularly in France reluctant to give a long extension. France and several other countries also want to see with in the settlement that the Uk ”must behave well”. But there are no sanctions or other means to take against a member who objects. This is discussed intensively in the evening.
– For the first time the EU leaders seriously started looking at british politics. EU27 want a deal that keeps even if Boris Johnson (former foreign minister) or Jeremy Corbyn (Labour party leader) suddenly leading the country.
– the most Important thing to keep your eye on is the French president, Emmanuel Macron. He has, prior to the meeting had been the EUROPEAN leaders who has taken the toughest line against the united kingdom and expressed their weariness of that Brexit for such a long time taken the light from the other EU-related issues. To give the Uk a too long extension, Macron has been extremely hesitant to.Photo: Francois Mori
" Theresa May will also, of course, be in the limelight. But the circuit count is not really so much from her. At the last summit, she held a speech for 90 minutes before other EU leaders sat down to eat dinner. They were not particularly impressed by what she had to come up with. ”Selling their message is not Theresa Mays strongest branch”, as one of the leaders of the EUROPEAN union to have expressed himself, according to DN.
– we must not forget Germany's chancellor Angela Merkel. Her voice always weighs heavy at EU summits. Merkel has faced the meeting endorsed the suggestions on the solution that the european council president, Donald Tusk, has put forward, that is to say that the Uk receive a flexible utträdesdatum far in the future, probably to march 31, 2020.
The key issue will be to determine the date for the Uk extension. This is different options of which to 31 march the next year, it is most likely, according to a senior source. Theresa Mays proposals, if a resignation 30 June, it is, in principle, no one who believes in. There has also been speculation that the Uk will get extended to the end of the year.
Option to the Uk crashing out of the EUROPEAN union on Friday should not be dismissed completely. Anything can happen and there are always tokstollar that can make it, as one insider puts it.
– it is Important to keep your eyes on is also about the EU in any way, put conditions that prevent the Uk from stonewall in the EU. How such requirements should look like is tricky. A member of the EU is a member of the EU and there is no way to legally punish the Uk if the country would make it in, for example, the work of the EU budget.
– For those of you who are tired of reading about Brexit is, unfortunately, the answer is no. Even if the EU and Uk will agree on a new utträdesdatum continue the circus. Just that the focus moves across the English channel to the british domestic politics. Theresa Mays negotiations with the labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has not yet led to something constructive. Furthermore, an extension to bring the wrath of god in Mays party, the Whigs, and the question of her survival of the party is as vibrant as ever.
– DN's readers may possibly delight in the fact that the concept of the Flexit can be the new Brexit. Flexit means that the Uk gets a utträdesdatum far forward, but has the right to leave the EU earlier than that. This flexible model advocates thus Donald Tusk.
Read more: X:a in the document that may determine the future
Read more: video: is ready to give May more time
Read more: Five stumbling blocks in the negotiations between May and Corbyn