the price of Petrol approaching 17 crowns per liter. It is too high the view over 400,000 swedes who joined the facebook group Bensinuppropet 2.0 and now want to push politicians to act.
– the price of Petrol should not be a deciding factor for where to live or work, " said Peder Blohm Bokenhielm, one of initiativstartarna to Bensinupproret 2.0 to DN on Sunday.
to Bensinupproret 2.0 has the facebook group Bensinupproret 3.0 started. The group has so far only 2,000 members, but want to arouse public opinion to raise the price of petrol for the climate. The group's spirit receives support from several environmental experts.
– There are very extensive research on how gasoline prices affect car usage. Research that started already 20, 30 years ago, " says Thomas Sterner.
Read more: Petrol price reaches new record high
Håkan Johansson, national coordinator for climate and energy issues at the Swedish transport administration, agrees that the fuel tax is an effective instrument to reduce traffic on the climate, but adds that there are more approaches.
"We have, for example, the EU requirement on new cars' carbon dioxide emissions, which extends until 2030, the bonus-malus for cars and reduktionsplikt on petrol and diesel, " he says.
Read more: Why are gasoline prices so high
fuel accounts for around 30% of Sweden's total energy consumption and is the largest source of emissions of carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides in Sweden, according to the environmental protection agency.
the Swedish Parliament has decided that Sweden's climate changing emissions must be net zero in 2045. To reach this goal, the Policy council called on the government to develop a time-bound action plan to achieve fossil-free transportation by 2030. This includes a desire for a final date for inclusion in when fossil fuels like gasoline and diesel will no longer be sold in Sweden.
– To raise the price of petrol has been an effective policy to make more efficient use of fossil fuels, " says Thomas Sterner. Research shows that a higher bensinpris not only do you run less, but run shorter distances, use bensinsnålare cars or other fuels.
on a lower bensinpris with the argument that it would facilitate travel between the city and the countryside.
– the Question if the countryside is close to my heart, but the need for a policy for rural areas and for the climate. There are other measures you can take to keep rural communities alive, to introduce the modern infrastructure in the form of fibre, says Thomas Sterner and is continuing;
– The longest observed mileage is actually those who live in the outlying areas to the big cities.
mean that other measures can be taken to as an alternative in order to reduce the gap between the countryside and the city, instead of lowering the price of petrol.
– How we plan and develop our cities has a big impact. These and other instruments, together with investment in alternatives to the car and an urban planning that allows the needs of the car decreases, then also reduces the need for increased taxes on fuel, " he says.
the trade association of the Swedish gasoline prices: Far from the most expensive