the Apocalypse was the main theme at the Göteborg international film festival, which ended at the weekend. The trend continued in Berlin on Friday's world premiere of Casey Afflecks post-apocalyptic family drama that, among other things, been compared to movies like ”The road”, ”Children of men” and recently bioaktuella ”Leave no trace”. Affleck has both written and directed the film.
“Light of my light” revolves around a father who tries at all costs to protect his daughter in a post-apocalyptic world. In Berlin mean to some that the film has an underlying feminist message, which aims to strengthen the role of women in the world.
" Hmm, I'm not an expert on what defines a feminist film, said, a little surprised Casey Affleck who have met the world's press with a streaked with gray jazzskägg.
– My intention was to tell you about a parent and a child without any direct political message. But of course, the film ends with Anna tells its own version of the same story she heard at the beginning of the film. She defines herself through her own stories. Or what do you say Anna? says Casey Affleck and turns to his young partner:
– Yes, absolutely. That women have a crucial role to play in the world, "says Anna Pniowsky who also played in the horror film ”He's out there” and the tv comedy ”PEN15”.
won the Casey Affleck both Golden Globe and Oscar for her role in ”Manchester by the sea”. At last year's Oscars did not materialize Affleck as the prize after having been pointed out during the metoo and timesup-the uprising in Hollywood. Casey Affleck was accused in particular of sexual harassment, in connection with the recording of mockumentären ”I'm still here” with Joaquin Phoenix 2010.
the Film is about the things that are dear to me and is not a response to the metoo-debate that was going on in our culture.
In the fall broke Affleck the silence, admitted that he behaved ”unprofessional” and that he learned a lesson. At the press conference in Berlin came the question up if the new film could be seen as a response to metoo-the debate.
" No, I wrote and recorded the film before this became a large part of the public discourse. The film is about the things that are dear to me and is not a response to what was going on in our culture. But of course, like all the others I have researched myself and tried to analyse the role I have played in it all. Even if you see yourself as one of “the good guys” so it goes, of course, always to make things better, " says Casey Affleck.Anna Pniowsky and Casey Affleck in ”the Light of my life”. Photo: © the BBP LOML
”Light of my life” is his first feature film as a director. In Berlin are also displayed spelfilmsdebuter directed by Hollywoodkollegor as Jonah Hill that comes with skejtardramat ”Mid 90s” and Chiwitel Ejifors ”The boy who harnessed the wind”, which is based on the book about a malawi teenage boy who gave the whole of his village electricity by constructing a wind turbine out of scrap.
”Light of my life” began, with Casey Affleck wrote down the conversation he had had with his sons.
– From the beginning it was thought of as a father-son drama, but when they asked to get rid of the end up in a movie, so I changed the character to a daughter. I based Anna's character on my three lovely nieces, " says the director, who is the brother of Ben Affleck.
From the beginning sold the film out as a horror film with science fiction elements.
– I love sci-fi and apocalyptic films. In middle school I was obsessed with ”Mad Max: road warrior” and I think it is entertaining with movies such as ”World of Z”. But my film is developed themselves more and more to a pure drama. It wont stop with doing what one has inside, " says Casey Affleck, which also played in movies such as ”the Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford” and ”Gone, baby gone”
and actor he is reluctant to theorise too much about what he is doing.
" I have heard too many of my colleagues, who lay out the text about why they did this and that during the recording, but usually it is only the quirks and efterhandskonstruktioner, haha. So I am not prepared to say that there is always a clear idea with each scene, he smiles.
there suddenly came a wave of films that are similar to each other blame, he also on coincidences and chance.
" Everything goes in cycles. One year it will suddenly ten westerns, another year should the films be about meteors that collide with earth. But, sure, apocalyptic movies tend to come back, " he says and launches a theory of their own.
– the Genre gives us the opportunity to imagine how life would be if you were to sweep away all the civilization and go back to the original when everything becomes refined and metaphorically. When you isolate a relationship between two people becoming suddenly ”waiting for Godot“. The dramatic action is raised properly – all the spats will be on life and death.
Read more: ”The kindness of strangers” opened in Berlin
Read more: Record number of female Guldbjörnskandidater