When the new “high-tech” smoking device hit the market, it was easy to see how vaporizers or e-cigs would influence not only cigarette smokers but also the cannabis community. Once vapes were designed to be compatible with marijuana flower and THC liquid, its popularity skyrocketed. Now it’s more common than not to know a stoner who owns a THC vape. Many people still wonder about the differences between vaping vs smoking and we’re here to break it down.
How is smoking different from vaping?
Vape pens, electric dab rigs, and dab pens all use an internal heat source and a battery of some sort. They come in one-time-use disposable varieties or rechargeable options. Unlike smoking, which lights the smoking material on fire with a lighter, vaping doesn’t use combustion and instead heats the material just until the point of vaporization. So instead of thick smoke with a strong smell, a smooth, near odorless vapor is produced. Disposable vapes are charged and filled with THC or CBD liquid and are ready to smoke out of the box, while reusable vapes and dab pens need to be charged and filled with either dry herb, a vape cartridge, or cannabis concentrates.
Health benefits of vaping vs smoking
While there are a multitude of reasons why you should ditch the blunts for a vape, it’s important to research and choose a respected brand that uses medical-grade materials and always purchase official vape cartridges. Modified vapes and black-market cartridges have been linked to the lung injury EVALI, so never purchase products off the street or try to do DIY modifications on your vape. Switching from smoking to a high-quality, authentic vaporizer can have many health benefits. We’ve listed just a few:
- Less harmful byproducts - Vapes don’t heat anything until the point of combustion as traditional smoking does. Any method of smoking that uses combustion will produce many more carcinogens and pyrolytic compounds than vaping. Additionally, smokers inhale noxious butane and other contaminants when using a lighter, which can be harmful over the long term. One study found 111 pyrolytic compounds in smoke from a joint, whereas the famous Storz & Bickel Volcano vape produced just three. This makes vaping a much healthier alternative for medical marijuana patients or anyone who prefers smoking but wants to ingest fewer toxic byproducts while doing it.
- Improves existing respiratory issues - If you already have existing respiratory issues, it’s better to stop smoking and vaping altogether and switch to tinctures, capsules, patches, or edibles to obtain your cannabis. However, if you’re set on lighting up, a groundbreaking study monitored 20 regular cannabis smokers with at least one respiratory issue and found that after a month of only using a vaporizer, 12 out of the 20 participants had a significant improvement in their symptoms.
- More accurate dosing - Unlike that giant bong rip, it’s possible to know exactly what you’re getting when you draw on a vape. Some vaporizers are made exclusively for this purpose and release measured doses of cannabinoids in each hit before shutting off. Those who are microdosing and medical marijuana users who need a certain amount of THC or CBD at specific intervals throughout the day will find the accuracy of vaporizers especially helpful.
Other reasons to use vapes
- Ultra discreet - Vaporizers come in many shapes and styles, but all are just about the size of a pen and fit neatly into the palm of your hand. By the time you pull it out of your bag, take a few puffs, and slip it away into your pocket, onlookers will be none the wiser and you’ll be just baked enough to go about your day. Plus, the vapor that’s produced hardly smells at all and doesn’t linger like smoke, which often draws unwanted attention. Since the vapor quickly dissipates, there’s no need to air out a room or light a candle when your landlord comes over for a surprise visit.
- Easy to use - Not only will you never have to dig around your couch for lost lighters anymore, but you also won’t need to look for your pipe or rolling papers. Vaporizers are turnkey products that just require a bit of ganja and a charge. The internal heat source and quick heat-up time makes lighting up super easy. Many vapes also have just one button, maybe even no buttons at all and are so simple to operate, your grandma could do it.
- More efficient THC delivery - Yup, you’ll get higher smoking from a vape than you will smoke out of a bong or pipe. Research using the Volcano vape found that vapor had a much higher ratio of cannabinoids to volume than smoke from a joint does. That means you’ll get the most out of your bud with a vape.
- Lots of options - When it comes to vapes, there are lots of possibilities. Smokers don’t have to be stuck smoking the same stuff day in and day out. There are vaporizers and dab pens that are compatible with CBD or THC liquid, dry herb, cannabis concentrates flavored e-juice, or nicotine vape cartridges.
- Must have travel accessory - Since vapes don’t require any other parts or accessories (except maybe a charger) they are the ultimate travel companion. Choose a vape that uses THC liquid so you don’t need to be paranoid about traveling with dry herb. On-the-go stoners can take a hit at a moment’s notice and just as easily stash it away at the bottom of a backpack or purse.
Are you looking for a brand new vaporizer? Everything for 420 has a wide selection of vapes for sale that are within any budget.