Some people might think that turkey and ham are the best choices, while others prefer prime rib roast. There are many helpful recipes that can be used to create a traditional holiday meal for one or 100 people. This easy recipe for Prime Rib is from Tastes Better From Scratch.
These are the items you will need:
5 lbs. Prime rib beef
2 teaspoons freshly ground black Pepper
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon fresh Thyme
8 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
Horseradish is an option for serving
Equipment for Special Purposes
3. Pat the roast on paper towels. Then, spoon the seasoning mix over the roast, and rub it all around. Place the bone-in roast, with the bones facing down, in the roasting pan. Place a boneless roast on a rack in the pan if you are cooking it.
4. Bake at 500° for 15 minutes.
5. Turn oven down to 325°F and continue cooking. Allow 10-12 minutes for rare, or 14-15 minutes for medium. Cook medium-well until the temperature reaches 150 degrees F.
6. When the roast is done, take it out of the oven and cover it with foil. Let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.
7. Once the grain is ready, cut against it at 1/2 inch thickness. If desired, serve with horseradish
Oven Cook Times
There are many factors that can affect the cooking time of different meats, such as rib roasts. However, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service recommends the following times for roasts.
4-6 lb. Bone-In roast: 23-25 minutes per pound
4-6 lb. Boneless roast: 28-33 minutes per pound