The fast-paced world keeps you on toes, and you often end up ignoring yourself. Self-focus can lead to a path of realization and a better understanding of the inner self. A peaceful mind leads to a healthy body and makes you realize that you keep worrying about unnecessary and immaterial things.
Knowing what is non duality can aid in starting the journey towards self-realization for a more meaningful life. Applying the principles of non-duality gives clarity to the real essence of life.
Non-duality, also known as Advaita in Sanskrit, means ‘not two’ or ‘no second.’
Before moving ahead, let us discuss some of the related terms.
- Brahman is the absolute truth. It is beyond the material qualities. It is the source from where everything originates.
- Atma refers to the inner self or the soul within the human body. It is believed to be eternal and something that cannot be destroyed. It is different from the physical body, consciousness, and mind.
- Maya means illusion. A thing or an object may be different from what it appears to be. It establishes a connection with the external world, which is the perceptions of our thoughts and beliefs.
- Karma indicates the actions or work done. It refers to all those deeds undertaken by an individual with the body and mind. Creating good karma creates positivity and happiness. On the other hand, bad karma leads to sadness and suffering.
- The ultimate freedom or liberation is known as moksha. It refers to the liberation from the birth-death cycle. It is considered to be the only way of attaining absolute freedom.
Advaita states that Brahman is the absolute reality, and everything else is Maya. An individual has no existence of its own, but it is a mere reflection of Brahman in the living being. The philosophy thus states that Atma and Brahman are not different, but they are the same.
- beliefs of Advaita set the path to spiritual awakening. It is usually symbolized by a swan, which indicates the ability to comprehend the real and the illusionary.
How Does It Apply To Our Life?
Once you understand what is non duality, learn how it can transform your life.
On learning about the ultimate truth and the oneness of Atma and Brahman, discovering your inner self may help in attaining enlightenment. Your typical working day may include multiple meetings and official calls. Settling down with peace in this noisy world can make you feel content with what you have rather than running behind what you do not have. Wanting to reach your higher potential can deepen your understanding of absolute reality.
Keeps on the Path of Sincerity
As understood, karma has the capability of creating our future. The quest to make money and to be more successful has seen humans compromising their ethics and morals. The intention of creating more fame and popularity has been important for many. Humans, today, have forgotten to live the values learned as a child.
Resorting to dishonesty for accomplishing a task has become normal. It is essential to understand the holistic picture. Achieving success by unfair means is temporary, and you will have to pay for the wrongfully done things. Hence one must follow the path of sincerity and honesty to create good karma.
Encourages to Help Others
It is important to help others in need. The assistance may not be monetary. Simply by giving food to the hungry, water to the thirsty, and knowledge to the illiterate, you are doing meaningful and good deeds. Extend a helping hand to everyone without any discrimination. Also, bear in mind that the actions should be selfless and without any expectations. Expecting to get something in return for service done is not the right approach.
Get Rid of Maya
Maya has brought to light the illusionary world. Fighting for promotions, wanting bigger houses, buying fancy cars, or shopping for high-end brands cannot be the motto of life. You keep running behind things that do not exist. People normally keep an eye on others' things and allow the ill-feeling of jealousy to creep in.
- can never be satisfied, and achieving one thing leads to the desire to achieve some more. People are busy trying to stack up material things and always wish to generate more wealth. Fancy devices and gadgets have started determining the quality of life. Introducing self-awareness can take you closer to the comprehension of the fundamental nature of life.
Reflecting on what is non duality can lead you to the path of inner realization. It awakens your higher self, which makes you understand the true essence of life. Spiritual illumination can remove the clutter from your minds.
Author bio: Erica Jones is a freelance writer and a GOT fan. Apart from writing Technologies, she likes to read & write fiction. More than anything, she loves to spend her time with her family and friends, explaining technologies to the elders.