The Russian agent Maria Butina is on Friday been sentenced to 18 months in prison and deportation to Russia from the UNITED states. Butina was arrested and pre-trial detention centre in July last year.
She stated in the december guilty to infiltrate the u.s. våbenlobby the National Rifle Association (NRA). Here she tried to influence american politicians from The Republican Party.
In court apologized Maria Butina for his actions and asked the judge for a mild judgment.
- I am ashamed and embarrassed the international scandal, my arrest has brought. My parents taught me the importance of education, how to live lawfully, and how they are good against others.
- I have three academic titles, but now I am a convicted felon without a job, without money and without freedom, said Maria Butina.
Butina is among other things known to be particularly fond of weapons. Picture: AP/Pavel Ptitsin
She has among other things studied at the American University in Washington.
Judge Tanya Chutkan, however, was not responsive to the Butinas prayer.
- This was no simple misunderstanding of a forivret exchange students, said Tanya Chutkan in connection with the delivery of the judgment.
According to Russia's ministry of foreign affairs is Maria Butinas verdict 'politically motivated'.
- the Charges against her, which aim to influence the internal political process in the UNITED states, is invented and fabricated.
- Our landskvinde was only convicted because she is a citizen of Russia, says the ministry in a statement.
The 30-year-old Russian woman must have taken advantage of its membership of the NRA to achieve contact with the leaders in The Republican Party and to the other american politicians and leaders.
According to the charges against her should she have collected information on us officials and organizations. The information she should have disclosed to a senior Russian official, who she reported to.
Maria Butina has already completed 9 of the 18 months, she has been sentenced. She gets deported to Russia, where she has served the remaining nine months.