2020 is a strange year for the sport, where the season gets crazy compressed, when it truly is launched in the middle of July.
It can also be a breakthrough year for the 25-year-old Niklas Oak. Friday joined the Trek-Segafredo indeed, that the Danish climber is part of the nine-man bruttotrup to the Tour de France. A squad that also includes world champion Mads Pedersen, who, however, considered as a safe participant.
But Oak is not far from the. For just a single rider must be sieved off, and the odds of a Tour-debut for Eg is thus quite good, although he almost did not dare to believe in it yourself.
- There are probably a handful of riders that are safe, and then we go other and dreaming of the last seats. It will be interesting to see how it ends.
It makes me get a little nervous. It gives just a little extra voltage. You would like to dig a little extra deep to training and be ready. It is a great motivator.
- Right now I'm very torn and am thinking that it is 50/50, says Niklas Oak for Extra Magazine.
- To be for the Tour is the pinnacle of the sport, and every time someone asks me if I have been running the Tour de France, which I have nicely had to answer no.
- So this is what I'm passionate about, and I put p.t. all my energy to be as sharp as possible when the season begins, so I can prove that it must be me, says the Danish mountain rider.
He, together with most of the Tour squad to the French alps on a training camp in the middle of July, and then it is on a strip of French optaktsløb with many mountains. And it is here, he must turn to, if the dream of the Tour de France to come true.
- Yes, I am thinking that it is. I shall keep me to be good running and show that I can help much in stages in relation to our klassementryttere, Bauke (Mollema, ed.) and Richie (Porte, red).
- It is a tough Tour, and the route has many vertical meters. So I hope that it is a type like me, they need.
Right now he trains at home in Girona in Spain, and he feels that he has gotten something good out of coronapausen.
- the Feel is good. And the training, I'm running just for the time being, are of good quality. So I hope that I can turn it into something positive and get something out of it in both the short and long term.
- I think in general, that I have moved my level for this season, and it is also why the team gives me the confidence to take me in bruttotruppen. Just it is a pat on the shoulder, says Niklas Oak.
I have been with Trek-Segafredo since 2018 and have previously run both the Giro d'italia and the Vuelta a España for the team.
Bauke Mollema (Hol)
Richie Porte (Aus)
Jasper Stuyven (Bel)
Niklas Eg (Dan)
Alex Kirsch (Lux)
Tom Skujins (Easy)
Dylan Theuns (Bel)
Mads Pedersen (Dan)
Kenny Elissonde (Fra)
A Tour-the team consists of eight riders - a must is sieved off.
Much more cycling Past day Since The picture postcard cracked - LARGE Past day Valgrens nightmare: - We were pissebange Last day Game in the wings: the Superstar helped Riis back Past day Mad or brilliant: Trump would challenge Tour de France Past day, the Master of the cobbles was bitter to the day of his death Past day 'I will honor my father's memory'