It was on Saturday that the Conservatives youth wing, the youth league, brought up the issue at a meeting of the moderate party in Stockholm county. The goal is that the Conservatives will work to ensure that the public service in the long term shut down. The proposal was voted for by 109 votes to 77 votes against.
Stockholm is the area where the Conservatives are strongest, in the elections of 2018 received just over 26 percent of the votes in Stockholm county.
the Same day proclaimed Moderates in the Western Region that want to minimize or completely eliminate the new public service tax, the compulsory tax which replaced licensavgiftens the financing of the public service.
criticism. The liberal Christer Nylander, the chairman of the parliamentary culture committee, called the decision ”regrettable” and writes in a comment to SVT that ”We need more scrutiny, more story, more immersion, not less.”
Jesper Strömbäck, professor in journalism and media and communication studies with a specialization in political communication at Gothenburg university, says to DN that the moderate party in Stockholm's decision ”deeply unfortunate”.
– From a democratic perspective, it is crucial that the media does contribute to people are well informed about politics and society, " he says.
– Research shows both that the public service has a greater and wider range of application that deals with politics and society than what the commercial channels, and that the public service has clearer and stronger effects on people's political interest and their knowledge of current affairs than commercial channels.
in countries characterised by a strong public service media has a greater range of programs about politics and society, than the commercial channels in countries without the competition of public service, " says Strömbäck.
– With other words, helps the public service both directly and indirectly to a wider range of applications – and to human knowledge – on politics and society, " he says.
Also, the Ester Pollack, associate professor in journalism at Stockholm university, is critical of the moderate party in Stockholm.
– It is an anti-democratic proposals in the Donald Trumps and Steve Bannons spirit, a policy which in the day is followed up by the extreme right-wing parties in Europe, " she says, and continues:
– We live in a time where large global companies without any publiceringsansvar is reaping great success and where it has become increasingly difficult to distinguish between information and misinformation, truth, respectively, lie. In such a situation to work to eliminate the SVT, SR and UR is in a democratic perspective, the total irresponsible.
Lotta Finstorp, Research of cultural policy spokesperson and vice-chairman of the culture committee, writes in an email to DN that it will discuss the proposal at partistämman in the fall:
”We have no such proposal nationally in the day. It is decisions taken at the local förbundsstämmor. On partistämman in the fall, we then discuss this, as we do with a range of other issues.”