further, the cultural need to save 49 million in 2019 after the green & blue handlebar in Stockholm decided to tighten their belts for the capital's cultural sector. It affects, among other things, the school of the arts and libraries.
In the library going on right now, in a dramatic reorganisation. The goal is to cut away the 40 services. It is almost half of the total of 90 services cultural services need to take away.
" Right now we know nothing. There is no one here who knows about you will be left in the same library or in the same position as you have now. The mood is not very good, " says Gustav Almestad at Farsta library.
Robert Olsson shall cut mainly act on the administrative services. But the offer of voluntary departures on the Stockholm public library makes no difference between librarians and administrators:
– fixed-term employment relationships and the number of retirements and voluntary agreements that are made relate to all categories of staff, " says Daniel Forsman, head of the Stockholm public library.
unlike the head of cultural department Robert Olsson, he believes that the quality of the library's operations will be affected:
– improvement of the Efficiency will have an effect on our business. Where we are forced to prioritize in order to meet the political mandate with the resources we have.
– In the budget are the declared priorities: for example, the opening hours of the libraries, and that we shall maintain the same number of libraries that we have in Stockholm. Then we have a number of number of goals on more visits to the libraries among the priority target groups and extended lånetal for certain categories of books.
at Odenplan (the main library) ends seven temporary and four permanent employees. A further three persons have gone on longer temporary positions will likely need to end in June or July. The latter three have worked with storytelling for children from 1 year and upwards, with the digital storytelling and a läseklubb for children between 10 and 14 years, and with poesiverksamhet that circle and open stage.
From april, the workforce is reduced and more planned events in the spring have been removed.
– It is not a matter of a few administrative services that disappear, but our employees who are in the midst of activity and meets with borrowers every day. When you think that it will be possible to cut away 40 posts without being noticed, it is that to say that there are 40 people in the libraries don't do something. And so it is really not, " says Alice shield infographics, librarian and producer at the public library at Odenplan.
the main library have signed a petition that was sent to the cultural committee on 28 march. There is talk of a ”historically strong savings” that will ”be properly marked”: ”It is inevitable that even children and young people, which is a priority target group, will be affected.”
18 employees at the Bellerose library, asks in an opinion piece in the paper Work if they will remove the story-time sessions, klassbesöken, book-clubs, or språkkaféerna.
" We librarians have on personalinformationsmöten been told that the reduction of the workforce is a part of the transition that awaits the libraries. Already today, there is anställningsstopp. The concept of quality in the business will likely to be watered down. There is no efficiency of our approach makes it possible to maintain quality with reduced workforce, " says Gustav Almestad at Farsta library.
at the libraries will occur after several years of reduced resources through non-enumeration for the increased costs in the form of higher rents and wages. The appeal from the main library criticises the cuts camouflaged with terms such as ”development” and ”bet”. It is a criticism also heard from the head of the Stockholm public library:
"I wish fewer bets of the temporary kind and that, instead of increasing our core funding so that we can have stability in our operations," says Daniel Forsman.
the main library argues that libraries function in the society at the same time becomes more and more important: ”Medborgarkontor has been put down, health care has not time to explain, the authorities are difficult to reach and people are expected to be self-sustaining and to manage their affairs digitally. For those of us who work at the library, it becomes increasingly obvious that for many people is to the library you have to turn,” writes the 85 employees.
– the Libraries have a democratic function, they are a place with low thresholds where everyone is welcome to search for both information and inspiration on the playing field. It is also a place you can be on without having to pay, " says Alice shield infographics at the main library.