MELBOURNE (Ekstra Bladet): ’Love’ means ’zero’, when we counted the points in tennis. And there is certainly no love between Caroline Wozniacki and Maria Sharapova, when they early on Friday morning, Danish time, on the stands on Rod Laver Arena with kick-off at 05.30.
Their relationship is, on the contrary, recent years gone from non-existent over cool to cold.
- I've never really had a relationship with Maria. I think never, she has had a relationship with someone on the trip, said Caroline Wozniacki, when Ekstra Bladet asked the previous year.
Just in the year 2017, broke their so-called lack of relation out in an obvious enmity. The year before had dane spoken out cool about the Russian's attempts to explain away his dopingfadæse.
Now she was under the Indian Wells asked about his views on that turneringsledelsen in Stuttgart – who shared the Porsche-sponsor with Sharapova – had given her a wildcard, before dopingkarantænen expired. Like his friend, the Polish Agniezska Radwanska, thought she, that it was inappropriate.
the Tournament in Stuttgart, which, like Maria Sharapova has the Porsche as a sponsor, gave her a wildcard, before dopingkarantænen had expired. Photo: Ritzau Scanpix
Sharapovas longtime agent, Max Eisenbud responded in the New York Times to call Wozniacki and Radwanska for 'journeyman'. A concept, which is used on the athletes who travel around the globe to gather the money up without really winning anything.
Since sent Eisenbud, as revealed in Ekstra Bladet, a written apology to the dane, but she gave not much of at the time.
- So he tries to send me the email, which just makes me think that he did this because he had to do it. If he really was sorry, then he was gone out in the media, where he had called me a 'journeyman', and said that he had made a mistake. So the excuse I can't use for anything, she said.
By sæsonfinalen later in the year blew The Hour of new life in the story by asking for it, and She answer was not milder:
- He is afraid to meet me. When I go into the players ' lounge, he turns literally and go the other way. I think it is embarrassing.
At last year's US Open, smoke the chain again for Wozniacki, who, in his andenrunde match had been located on a peripheral trajectory, which she lost, while Sharapova – again – to play in primetime inside on the main track.
- I can easily follow the business part of it, but when someone comes back from a dopingdom and all of a sudden gets to play every match on centre court, one may well question it.
- It is a bad signal to send to the young people, when you come back from dopingkarantæne and are treated as if everything is fine, she said to Ekstra Bladet.
Shortly after fell Sharapovas cool reply:
- I have nothing with the planning of courses to do. The only thing that matters is that I'm in the fourth round. I don't know where she is.
a Relationship is more than strained between the two players ' coaches. Swedish Thomas Högstedt was for many years a friend of the Wozniacki family, but a short interlude as the coach of her ended up in a uforsonligt breach, and the parties are not on speaking today.
Below you can see the showdown between Wozniacki and Sharapova. The Russian leading 6-4, but on hardcourt leads Wozniacki 4-3, and she has won their showdown in a grand slam.
Ten meetings between Wozniacki and Sharapova
2015, Madrid, quarter-final, gravel: Sharapova, 6-1 3-6 6-3
2014, Sæsonfinalen, first round, hardcourt: Wozniacki, 7-6(4) 6-7(5) 6-2
2014, the Us Open, the 4. round, hardcourt: Wozniacki 6-4 2-6 6-2
2013, Indian Wells, final, hardcourt: Sharapova, 6-2 6-2
2012, Miami, semifinal, hardcourt: Sharapova, 4-6 6-2 6-4
2011, Rome, semi-final, gravel: Sharapova, 7-5 6-3
2011, Indian Wells, semi final: Wozniacki, 6-1 6-2
2010, the Us Open, the 4. round: Wozniacki, 6-3 6-4.
2008, Rome, 4. round: Sharapova, 6-4 7-6(3)
2008, Doha, quarter-final, hardcourt: Sharapova, 6-0 6-1
Isdronningen, who put colleagues on the keel