Cannabigerol or CBG is increasingly becoming popular in the marketplace as the next big thing after CBD. It is one of the many molecules found in the hemp plant. The chemical composition of CBG is such that both THC and CBD would not exist without CBG.
The awareness and demand for CBG oil are on the rise due to its non-psychoactive properties and therapeutic benefits. Extracting oil from the high CBG strain of a plant can increase the chances of a successful extraction process.
What is CBG?
CBGA or Cannabigerolic acid is the fundamental compound for the popularly known cannabinoids like THC and CBD. CBG is the non-acidic form of this fundamental compound. CBGA's are one the first compounds to be found in the hemp plants when they are growing.
Eventually, as the hemp plant grows and passes the 8 to 9 weeks flowering cycle, this compound breaks down into over a hundred different minor cannabinoids, CBG being one of them. CBG is available in less than 1% of harvested cannabis strain. This feature makes CBG challenging to extract compared to CBD and also expensive.
How is CBG Different from CBD?
CBG is the precursor of CBD, the reason for the similarities between the two compounds. CBG and CBD are both non-psychoactive by nature. You will not get high with the consumption of either. They interact with the same receptors, CB1 and CB2, in the human body's nervous systems.
They have similar therapeutic properties, like they can both help manage stress, anxiety, and depression. A study found CBG increases appetite. It is a feature that distinguishes it from CBD. CBG and CBD can either be consumed as individual cannabinoids or together. When they are consumed together, the effects of CBD are more lasting.
How is CBG Extracted?
As seen above, CBGA is the first cannabinoid to show up in the hemp plant. As when the plant grows, the CBGA is broken down into CBG and other minor cannabinoids. This means CBG needs to be extracted when the hemp plant is still young and growing.
- 6 to 8 week flowering cycle of the hemp plant is considered the best time to harvest as the plant contains high-strains of CBG during this period. It is crucial to capitalize on the small window available as the volume of CBG present in hemp plants is less, and as the breakdown of cannabinoids begins, this volume shrinks further.
CBG is typically extracted using either or both of the below solvents:
CBG-rich plants are soaked in a solvent of CO2 or ethanol to extract the cannabinoids and terpenes. The resulting solution is passed through filtration steps to extract a crude version of CBG. This crude version is further distilled with affinity chromatography to extract isolates from other cannabinoids.
Are There High CBG Strains Available?
As CBG is found in lower quantities in hemp plants than other cannabinoids, the extraction process becomes a challenge. As the market is warming up to CBG, hemp cultivators are working towards developing high-strain plants. Cross-breeding and genetic engineering are the different mechanisms being adopted to develop high-strain CBGs.
Yes, there are high CBG strains available in the market today. A considerable number of researches and experimentations are taking place in the industry with different varieties of hemp seeds to accelerate the process of CBG extraction.
Benefits of Using CBG
- CBG oil can help control an overactive bladder. It showed promising results in treating the symptoms of Bladder dysfunction.
- You can use CBG products to stimulate appetite in patients.
- CBG can be used against bacterial infections, mainly MRSA, which is responsible for staph infections.
- It can help reduce intraocular eye pressure.
- You could manage stress, anxiety, and depression with CBD.
- It has also been found effective in managing epilepsy seizures.
- CBG helps reduce inflammation and provides relief from chronic pain.
- It can help you relax after a long day and enhance the quality of your sleep.
How to Use CBG?
CBG oil tinctures are one of the popular forms of using CBG. You can directly ingest CBG by spraying a few drops of the oil under your tongue for quick absorption. If you are not a fan of the taste, you can mix the oil with a non-alcoholic beverage of your choice.
- are a variety of CBG products available in the market. CBD and CBG oils are popular owing to their effectiveness. Check for the ratio of the compounds in the product to understand the amount of CBG present. Always do research and check for customer reviews before you purchase CBG products from a new vendor.