Usually can go 15 years between the Amorphophallus titanum, popularly known as the 'penisblomsten' or 'ligblomsten' jumps out.
in the Botanical Garden In Copenhagen thrive the plant, however, as well, that the recent years have fascinated blomsterentusiaster every two years.
And in the year to the great joy of the gardener Alex Arvad Pedersen no exception.
- It is exciting. I know it is so rare an event, tell the gardener, who has cared for the plant, since the in april started its growth.
Community - 31. may. 2016 - pm. 19:48 of Copenhagen rare-penis-plant blooms again
En Ekstra Bladet Thursday visited the palm house in the Botanic Garden, where the flower enjoying the heat and the high humidity, was the one-meter and 43 centimeters tall.
Its large size is the result of a couple of weeks of tremendously growing pains.
- In start of april month potted we the on. There we could see the tuber to lie down in the ground, which weighed about 20 kilos. At the top there was a small skudspids on.
Last Monday was a half-meter money. Since then, it has grown eight to ten centimeters each day, explains Alex Arvad Pedersen, who each morning has started his working day to see the spectacular plant.
Video: the State Museum of Natural history,
It is true, however to hurry to leave, if you want to experience penisblomsten in full bloom. It decomposes and disappears namely even faster than it was.
Already, in a few days is probably over the edge of the basin and is looking pretty sad out, says Alex Arvad Pedersen.
How so kæmpeblomsten out, en Ekstra Bladet Thursday visited the palm house.
See also: ’Penisblomst’ can be smelled on the 800 meters distance,
The flowering took place late Friday evening. It was also there that the plant began to smell.
- They say that it jumps out between the bell 22 and 23, where the flies, which usually pollinate it, are active on the island of Sumatra in indonesia.
- It is like the maximum of flowering, and there begins the intense smell of the carcass to take to lure the flies to.
- How would you describe the smell, it has, when it has gone into flower?
- I have not even smelled in the evening. But even the morning after it has flowered, you can still smell it.
- the Rotten meat, bad fish. There are many bids on what it smells of. It is not pleasant, it sounds from the gardener.
Alex Arvad Pedersen has cared for the plant throughout the spring. - Now it is your baby. To see it being so big, it's great, it sounds excited from the gardener.
It is unusual that the Amorphophallus titanum bloom as frequently as it does in the Botanical Garden. But there is a simple explanation on it to do.
- It is the relationships. We can put the humidity and temperature up and give it a completely different kind of fertilizer and general care in relation to Sumatra, where it lives naturally.
- it Can go wrong along the way in the process, when it grows?
- There is the watering, you must be careful with. That we do not give it too much water and not too little water. So it does not rot or begin to lose saftspændingen.
But wrong it went mercifully not this time.
- Now it is your baby. To see it being so great, it is fantastic, end Alex Arvad Pedersen.
See also: Denmark's most smelly penis is back
See also: Something of a damp squib: Penisblomsten is already hanging