It may well be that the Danish king Frederik Vesti last year dominated the european Formula 3 season with 13 victories in 24 races and a superb overall victory.
But in the years he moved up in the international Formula 3 for storholdet Prema, who last year triumphed with Michael Schumacher's son Mick, who moved up in Formula 2. And Vesti makes its case for when the season begins Saturday in Austria.
Not only must he fill the big shoes. He must complete them in record time and without the usual test in the car because of coronakrisen.
- He will be thrown to the lions. He has only had a testdag in the fall. Any other day of testing before the start of the season disappeared out of the blue. We start at some completely different assumptions than what we had anticipated, says his manager Dorte Riis Madsen.
- And now must run three races in a row with only one weekend free after every third race. That is to say, that Frederik can't reach to work on things between the races, in the same way as he is accustomed to. His learning curve becomes very steep.
In other words, there is not room for many errors or bad results in the shortened season, if Vesti need to convince the team that he next year should sit in a Formula 2 races.
The somewhat different start in life in the international Formula 3, however, has not been given the 18-year-old dane to lower his ambitions.
- My goal is to be at the top of the podium, and it is because I am running for Prema, which has the same goal. I know that with my talent, it can come to happen, he says to TV3 Sport.
Vesti was absolutely superior in the european Formula 3 last season, but the competition also becomes something else in the class higher.
- He is up against a field where half of them have been running for a year in advance. And among them there is juniorkørere from Formula 1 teams, says Dorte Riis Madsen.
- In spite of the extraordinary challenges for Frederick and the other competitors, running in the series for the very first time, I do not doubt for a second that he can stand up and be counted.
- It is in a situation like this, he can really seize the opportunity and show what substance he is made of as running.
Should he get success and be moved up into Formula 2 for the next season, the Vesti and the manager on the hunt for yet more money.
He has gotten measures to Digs as its main economic support, but a season in Formula 2 is about 7-10 million more expensive than a season in Formula 3.
Why should Frederik Vesti for the first deliver peak performance in record time, and so need more economic support to be convinced that he is worth betting on.
It requires not just an investor who likes motorsport. It requires a company that can see themselves in Frederick Vestis way forward.
- Frederick is the young contender in motor sport, and Digs is the big, new contender within its industry. Digs allows homeowners the opportunity to live out their dream - exactly as Frederick expresses his. There is a perfectly good værdimatch here, says Dorte Riis Madsen.
- I hope that other Danish companies will be inspired by a strong case as this.